Opeth (Official Thread)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
ok this will ever make me friends or lose them... I`ve never like the vocals of this band so I`ve never really listened to them so for a newbie to Opeth which album should be the first I search out...

The question is, which vocals don't you like? The clean singing or the growls?

I'd normally recommend "Blackwater Park" (which is their masterpiece imo) or "Still Life" (their second best imo), but if you do not like the growls, perhaps you'll like "Damnation" or the last two, "Heritage" and "Pale Communion".

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
The question is, which vocals don't you like? The clean singing or the growls?

I'd normally recommend "Blackwater Park" (which is their masterpiece imo) or "Still Life" (their second best imo), but if you do not like the growls, perhaps you'll like "Damnation" or the last two, "Heritage" and "Pale Communion".
thank you I`ll check them all out :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very exciting news, but I hate that they've signed with Nuclear Blast. NB has a tendency to release tons of versions of big albums, all with different bonus tracks on them.

That's my only real issue with NB definitely.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorceress

Have to say I was thrown initially but its actually a good song. The Mastodon and stoner vibes on it are quite a new direction for them and its a grower.

Heaviness without the growls is something I'm glad they could achieve.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Sorceress

Have to say I was thrown initially but its actually a good song. The Mastodon and stoner vibes on it are quite a new direction for them and its a grower.

Heaviness without the growls is something I'm glad they could achieve.

It seem the video has already been taken down. :banghead: I guess it wasn't official. :oyea:

Your description sounds interesting, but to be honest, I want some growls back. I think the mix of the best growls in metal and superb clean vocals is the one thing that made Opeth truly unique.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah but I don't think they should return to the growls if its not really what they want. If their cleans had been less than stellar over the last albums I'd agree but Opeth are like Katatonia in that they can adapt pretty well perfectly to just cleans. Damnation was also cleans too and that's one of their best.

I appreciate your point too though because I loved his black/death growls too but I guess his desire is just not to go back to the past in that regard.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It seem the video has already been taken down. :banghead: I guess it wasn't official. :oyea:

Your description sounds interesting, but to be honest, I want some growls back. I think the mix of the best growls in metal and superb clean vocals is the one thing that made Opeth truly unique.

Another version is up. I edited post.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online