Obscure Heavy Psych/Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
I didn't realise at the time... that type or wealth of music back then , I was struggling at home & school-but heard snatches of it here and there... and it left it's mark!
Greenslade, Badger and early UFO definitely made impressions - not forgetting the album artwork which lured you in. I used to go to a hippy commune store and workshop about 1971...they made sandals out of tyre treads and the like... that's where I first heard Nick Drake and stuff like Van Der Graff Generator - Be Yourself by Hawkwind too.
Having a classical and jazz household didn't help matters. When I see the posts by dr wu and recall those lps in the 50c bins!!!
Now worth telephone numbers.
I'm delighted places like this exist and small companies are releasing these lost treasures.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No clue if this has been posted but…

Horse ~ Horse (1970)
IMG_0575.jpeg

Horse consisted of Rick Parnell (Atomic Rooster, Nova, Ibis, Horace), Rod Roach (Saturnalia, Andromeda), Colin Standing and Adrian Hawkins (Saturnalia).

In 1968, guitarist Rod Roach and Adrian Hawkins formed Horse
Drummer Steve Holley and bassist Colin Standring initially completed the line-up and the band soon had a deal with RCA Records.

Steve Holley was shown the door soon after the contracts were signed, with Ric Parnell replacing him behind the drums.
The band recorded their ten song self-titled debut album in the spring of 1970.

Rick Parnell then left the band in late summer in order to help out Atomic Rooster until they found a permanent replacement for the outgoing Carl Palmer. After a couple of months Parnell returned to Horse, and the group once again concentrated on their live performances, touring mainly in Germany.

In the spring of 1971, Colin Standring was sacked from the band and Parnell decided to leave, bringing Horse to a sudden halt. Parnell went on to play with the Italian band Nova a band called Ibis and another band called Horace before a number of albums with Atomic Rooster.

By the way, Rick Parnell appeared in the the 1984 movie, 'This Is Spinal Tap‘ in the roll of Mick Shrimpton, Spinal Tapp's hapless drummer who dies onstage from "spontaneous combustion".
Parnell also played the drums on the Spinal Tap tracks on the film's soundtrack, filling that role again for the 1992 'Break Like The Wind' album.

Info from:

Mr Mojo Risin

Cactus Brew Drinker
Reaction score
No clue if this has been posted but…

Horse ~ Horse (1970)
View attachment 218824

Horse consisted of Rick Parnell (Atomic Rooster, Nova, Ibis, Horace), Rod Roach (Saturnalia, Andromeda), Colin Standing and Adrian Hawkins (Saturnalia).

In 1968, guitarist Rod Roach and Adrian Hawkins formed Horse
Drummer Steve Holley and bassist Colin Standring initially completed the line-up and the band soon had a deal with RCA Records.

Steve Holley was shown the door soon after the contracts were signed, with Ric Parnell replacing him behind the drums.
The band recorded their ten song self-titled debut album in the spring of 1970.

Rick Parnell then left the band in late summer in order to help out Atomic Rooster until they found a permanent replacement for the outgoing Carl Palmer. After a couple of months Parnell returned to Horse, and the group once again concentrated on their live performances, touring mainly in Germany.

In the spring of 1971, Colin Standring was sacked from the band and Parnell decided to leave, bringing Horse to a sudden halt. Parnell went on to play with the Italian band Nova a band called Ibis and another band called Horace before a number of albums with Atomic Rooster.

By the way, Rick Parnell appeared in the the 1984 movie, 'This Is Spinal Tap‘ in the roll of Mick Shrimpton, Spinal Tapp's hapless drummer who dies onstage from "spontaneous combustion".
Parnell also played the drums on the Spinal Tap tracks on the film's soundtrack, filling that role again for the 1992 'Break Like The Wind' album.

Info from:
Hell yeah! Awesome band. Discovered them from their connection to Atomic Rooster through Ric.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I spent 2 1/2 days restoring this entire thread to its former glory. This thread is a virtual treasure trove of early heavy rock / heavy psychedelic / proto metal. It’s music education at its finest!

before I leave forthe day, I need to leave my nugget…..

IMG_0576.jpeg

Following the death of founding member Paul Kossoff (Free), the remaining members of the band Back Street Crawler (John 'Rabbit' Bundrick, Tony Braunagel, Terry Wilson and Terry Wilson-Slesser) decided that it would be best to move on to both another record label and another manager. There is and was a history of problems with the band members obtaining record and publishing royalties from the original manager of Paul Kossoff.

Atlantic Records' Ahmet Ertegun had wanted to replace Paul Kossoff with Mick Taylor, who had left the Rolling Stones, however Taylor did not want to replace a musician who had died. Back Street Crawler bassist Terry Wilson had dinner with ex-Fleetwood Mac guitarist Peter Green in London to find out whether Peter's reclusive and unusual lifestyle had changed his mind about wanting to play or be in the music business. Green was not ready to return to the stage and therefore turned-down Crawler's offer. The band then recruited former If guitarist Geoff Whitehorn. The band was then dropped by Atlantic Records, due to Whitehorn's then relative obscurity.

The band switched management to a young American named Abe Hoch, who was working at Swan Song Records at the time with Led Zeppelin manager Peter Grant. Hoch had close ties with Epic/CBS Records and obtained an offer from them. Band members then shortened the band name to Crawler.

information from

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just a reminder to anyone desiring to post music in this thread…the OP specifically wanted obscure bands of the 70’s.

Proto - Metal :
As I would definite it would be bands that were not metal themselves per say, but very instrumental in helping to influence the future shape of the genre .I know that bands such as Deep Purple, Black Sabbath , Uriah Heep, etc. are debatable as to whether they actually were METAL bands or proto metal ( especially Sabbath who is generally considered metal by most .) so I will try to stick to the more unsung bands of the era who exhibited these same qualities.

the title of the thread is

Obscure Heavy Psych/Heavy Rock/Proto-Metal​

let‘s stick to that topic.

thanks !

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online

No members online now.