Obscure Gems From The "Classic" Prog/Rock Era

joe

Reaction score
Rare Bird was one the few bands to have a dual keyboard assault with virtually no guitar, especially on the first two Lps. One of the first bands to sign to the Charisma record label. The s/t debut from 1969 is a classic progressive rock sound driven by a heavy hammond organ. The ballad "Sympathy" was a big hit in the UK and Europe selling more than two million copies. It was the second album, As Your Mind Flies By(1970), a magnificant and compelling prog. endeavor. The four piece suite "Flight" is abundant with mood contrasts, key changes, and inventive instrumental interplay. After line up changes and a record label switch, Rare Bird's third release, Epic Forest sounds nothing like the first two albums showing more of a funky-jazzy/prog approach similar in vien to Wishbone Ash's Argus and the lighter side of Grand Funk.Two more albums were issued, but when I think of Rare Bird it is the first two releases that come to mind.

mystic fred

Reaction score
Let's have a better look at that sleeve art...

rarebird-1.jpg

corny, but much better than the original...?

rarebird.jpg

and just for fun...

Last edited:

mystic fred

Reaction score
"Born Again" was awful..."Somebody's Watching" (1973) was a very good album and well worthy of a space amongst the others...

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
This UK Progressive Rock band formed in 1970.They released three albums in the 70's Sacrifice, Black Widow and III they were considered quite shocking at the time due to the Satanically themed Sacrifice and their overtly occult influenced stage show. Three of these videos show them in their true element IMO and that would be the stage. I have the first 5 albums plus
the excellent live album and live DVD . I am currently searching for the 2009 effort entitled Sleeping With Demons.

BLACK WIDOW :

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Dakillerwolf you are psychic!! :D Me and Sweaty were just talking about BLACK WIDOW the other day! I told him to check out the Glam/horror band AGONY BAG on my 70s Glam thread because they featured Clive Jones on flute and another ex member of BLACK WIDOW in the band
At some stage BLACK WIDOW even had Romeo Challenger [Showaddywaddy in the band !!]
.......thats not taking anything away from their music and the excellent live footage you have put up :cheers2
From what I heard BLACK WIDOW were recording new material with ex SABBATH singer Tony Martin guesting.......Is this the "sleeping with demons" album you mention?

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Dakillerwolf you are psychic!! :D Me and Sweaty were just talking about BLACK WIDOW the other day! I told him to check out the Glam/horror band AGONY BAG on my 70s Glam thread because they featured Clive Jones on flute and another ex member of BLACK WIDOW in the band
At some stage BLACK WIDOW even had Romeo Challenger [Showaddywaddy in the band !!]
.......thats not taking anything away from their music and the excellent live footage you have put up :cheers2
From what I heard BLACK WIDOW were recording new material with ex SABBATH singer Tony Martin guesting.......Is this the "sleeping with demons" album you mention?

Hahaha That's pretty funny. I just got done watching the DVD Demons Of The Night Gather To See Black Widow - Live ( it also comes with a CD ) and figured "what the hell I'm gonna post these guys in the Prog thread lol

Yeah, that is the one.Tony Martin ( Awesome singer BTW ) is supposed to guest as you said .I have two conflicting bits of info on it .One says its supposed to have been released in 2009 and the other that it hasn't been released yet. Either way I haven't found it yet.

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Great Hendrix-influenced rock band from late 60s, altho they recored this songs in '70.

joe

Reaction score
^^^ A couple of great tracks. Really enjoyed them. I'll check them out.:grinthumb

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
The German influence Oliver Petry Keyboards big fan of Keith Emerson.

Cannabis India.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Graham Field ex Rarebird was the keyboard wizzard and main writer, reminds me of Procul Harum.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.