Nina Simone

JimJam

Reaction score
I have to add that documentary to my to-watch list. I know she was politically conscious during the '60s but she also recorded much that was bluesy and sexy.

I think the first song of hers i ever heard was I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl. Tasty!

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Holy shit is this Netflix doc awesome! I mean I liked Nina Simone before but I had NO idea the wealth of material she had and what was behind her performances. I'd never heard this side of her before and now I want to track down as much of this material as possible. I had no idea as well of what kind of person Nina was or her story. I knew her sound was unique and I could hear the passion in her music but I had no idea how much passion she truly had until watching this. She was a very driven, flawed, chaotic and revolutionary artist who the world may have forgotten what a mark she made during her time. Hopefully people both learn as well as remember after this doc makes it's way to more and more viewers.​

Definitely need to check that out!​

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I just bought this collection! It's probably the best Nina collection I've seen or will need and it comes in a great package. It has seven albums of her prime material. I recommend any fan get it! Here's the picture of the set:

Four Women: The Nina Simone Philips Recordings
51qHMV621DL.jpg

I'm listening to the first live album right now and I love her storytelling. This track is great!

Pirate Jenny

Lady Stardust

Reaction score
Ooooh! I need that. I bought a 'best of' CD a couple I of years ago, and after watching the doc I realized there is so much more I need to hear.

"I Want A Little Sugar in Bowl" is pretty much my anthem these days. I love that she dared to be bold about female sexuality (among other things) in her lyrics way back then.

-Diana

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Nina hit my radar back in the early 90s when I saw The Assassin (Point of No Return in US) at the cinema. The main character (played by Bridget Fonda) is a big fan of Nina Simone, so throughout the film we hear Nina's songs played :grinthumb I loved the film and I loved the songs! What tunes... and what a voice!

This one never fails to give me the shivers, one of my all time favourite songs, and nobody does it as good as Nina.

Feeling Good

Holy shit is this Netflix doc awesome! I mean I liked Nina Simone before but I had NO idea the wealth of material she had and what was behind her performances. I'd never heard this side of her before and now I want to track down as much of this material as possible. I had no idea as well of what kind of person Nina was or her story. I knew her sound was unique and I could hear the passion in her music but I had no idea how much passion she truly had until watching this. She was a very driven, flawed, chaotic and revolutionary artist who the world may have forgotten what a mark she made during her time. Hopefully people both learn as well as remember after this doc makes it's way to more and more viewers.

what-happened-miss-simone-poster1.jpg

Oh I need to see this! We have Netflix but don't always have the great selection you guys have over The Pond, I shall have a look in a bit to see if it's available on UK Netflix.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Ooooh! I need that. I bought a 'best of' CD a couple I of years ago, and after watching the doc I realized there is so much more I need to hear.

"I Want A Little Sugar in Bowl" is pretty much my anthem these days. I love that she dared to be bold about female sexuality (among other things) in her lyrics way back then.

-Diana

Nina hit my radar back in the early 90s when I saw The Assassin (Point of No Return in US) at the cinema. The main character (played by Bridget Fonda) is a big fan of Nina Simone, so throughout the film we hear Nina's songs played :grinthumb I loved the film and I loved the songs! What tunes... and what a voice!

This one never fails to give me the shivers, one of my all time favourite songs, and nobody does it as good as Nina.

Feeling Good

Oh I need to see this! We have Netflix but don't always have the great selection you guys have over The Pond, I shall have a look in a bit to see if it's available on UK Netflix.

The doc is where I realized I need to catch up on the deeper cuts in her catalog. The collection I bought is the first time I felt I was getting the complete experience after listening. That and the sound quality is excellent.

As for the doc on Netflix it should be on all Netflixes as I think Netflix itself is responsible for creating it. My first taste of Nina was the Sinnerman version done for the Thomas Crown Affair. :)

wisertime

Keep on Truckin'
Reaction score
I am also a big fan of Nina Simone. Embarrassingly enough I don't own a single album by her since I have been holding out for a minty copy of 'sings the blues' at my local record shop. I think I have passed up 4 or 9 of her album so far and I know I am being too picky.

I think I have a cd or 2 of hers but I haven't listened to those in years. I think it's time to enhance my vinyl jazz collection with some Nina Simone. Perhaps this weekend I will pick up 2 or 3 albums by her.

EDIT: because d'oh. Apparently I do have 1 Nina Simone album - Collection: Greatest Hits

Last edited:

Metal Health

Reaction score
I never thought of doing anything like she did with The House Of The Rising Sun. That's interesting how she changed everything about that song. Good cover, just a lot different than the original.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentonBeo

Members online