Nina Simone

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Nina Simone
ninasimone.jpg

I don't dabble in Jazz too much but Nina is an artist who interests me and has one of the most unique voices I've ever heard. I know I have a long way to go getting to know her as an artist but I think she deserves a thread. The first song I ever heard from her was an awesome mix of her song Sinnerman used for The Thomas Crown Affair. I've still never sen the movie but this version of the song got me interested in Nina! It's such a chaotic song and Nina is such a raw visceral presence.

Sinnerman (T.C.A. Remix)

Here are the original versions for purist:

Sinnerman (original full length)

So after some time I finally found a good deal on both these c.d.s as a two pack:

Nina Simone Sings The Blues & Silk and Soul
album-nina-simone-sings-the-blues.jpg
Nina_Simone.jpg

Lately a lot of the material has been surfacing on my IPods random shuffle and brought it fresher into my mind! Here are the tracks that stand out to me:

House Of The Rising Sun
(really like the jazzed up energy of her version)

Also like the live version of the above with another good song off of Silk and Soul, Go To Hell!

House of the Rising Sun & Go To Hell (Live @ The Bitter End Cafe 1968)

In The Dark

Do I Move You

My Man's Gone Now
(love her emotion in this one, she really puts her all in every note)

Out of the two it's obvious I like Nina Sings The Blues a lot better! I really like the stuff where she avoids sounding too much like traditional soul. Nina sounds best with her rough edges and I don't like when she goes for a smoother vocal. Anyway, that's my intro and I hope it gives people a reason to continue posting her works. She's worthy of this and it'll help me expand my knowledge of this great legend! :grinthumb

rtbuck

Reaction score
Awesome Soot!!

My favorite is "Gimme a Pigfoot & a Bottle of Beer" which is an old Bessie Smith tune that David Johansen would cover live in the mid/late 70's. I really love Nina's version:

Nina's name was thrown around a lot in the movie "Point of No Return" starring Bridgette Fondles. Fonda's character in the movie loved Nina Simon's music

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Nina Simone is sooo awesome !!:cheers2

her voice is so earthy and real..she did a great version of

THIS song /also covered by CCR / I like both
but Nina's take is so angry bitter..you feel the emotions oozing out..very moving ...

Another tune I love is

Mississippi Goddam !...it's clever and fun..
she's s serious lady but shows some humor too !

Last edited:

TheHealer

Reaction score
So Glad I found this thread.

One of my favorite singers ever.

I can listen to Nina sing all night long.

And she can sing it all.......Soul, Blues, Ballads, Gospel, Pop.......In English, In French.......

And so outspoken and REAL.........

An Artist in every sense of the word.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Nice tracks everyone. I prefer the faster uptempo songs by Nina the most but the more I hear in here the more I get educated since from the start I wasn't any expert on her music. :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Holy shit is this Netflix doc awesome! I mean I liked Nina Simone before but I had NO idea the wealth of material she had and what was behind her performances. I'd never heard this side of her before and now I want to track down as much of this material as possible. I had no idea as well of what kind of person Nina was or her story. I knew her sound was unique and I could hear the passion in her music but I had no idea how much passion she truly had until watching this. She was a very driven, flawed, chaotic and revolutionary artist who the world may have forgotten what a mark she made during her time. Hopefully people both learn as well as remember after this doc makes it's way to more and more viewers.

what-happened-miss-simone-poster1.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.