New Moderator SWEATY!!

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
It's the Flying Childers Inn, in the Peak District village Stanton in Peak, Derbyshire. I wish it was our local boozer as we love it - it's about half an hour's drive away.

I was right then, it looked very 'Peak District' in character, so that's a relief! Despite living in the USA for all those years I still have a pretty good eye for native English rural settings I think, our own village here in Lancashire is very similar. For me the best English pubs are the countryside boozers with the history, of which of course there are tens of thousands as every village has at least one, they also serve the best real-ales and are full of ancient atmosphere. There's a little pub not too far from here which dates back I think to the year 1320!!!!.... and is still going strong, it was an inn originally and it has been serving travellers from Norman times through the Tudor and Elizabethan age right up to date, when you are there you'd swear you were sitting in the Prancing Pony in the village of Bree in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings!!!... they just have a wood log fire for heat, and I think the bathroom is across the field!!

TheSound

Reaction score
That sounds fantastic TS! What's it called? I love really old pubs. Maybe you could post a pic & few details here: http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f14/great-british-pub-6679/index4.html

It's called The Scotch Piper Inn, it's at Lydiate.

5280715451_d611fbb81e.jpg

It's probably one of the oldest pubs in England - and for sure the oldest pub in Lancashire - so realistically that probably makes it one of the oldest pubs in the world. I've been there many times, I used to go there quite a lot in my late teens and early 20's, then after I came back to England in 2009 I have been a few times since, we went to a folk-music night once, just a few locals on fiddles and guitar and flute with vocals, it was a lot of fun. It has quite a history if (like me) you have a particular interest in old English folk-lore and our ancient history, there's a webpage on the pub that you might find interesting...

The Scotch Piper

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
How on earth have you lot managed to turn Sweaty's mod intro thread into a pub crawl...:hm:

Although I am Positive Master Sweaty wont mind a detour or two to quench his thirst.:hab:

:heheh:

TheSound

Reaction score
How on earth have you lot managed to turn Sweaty's mod intro thread into a pub crawl...:hm:

Although I am Positive Master Sweaty wont mind a detour or two to quench his thirst.:hab:

For once, I'm blameless, blame Tray, she started it!!!! :D

We should all have a trip here
242ya1j.jpg

and toast your promotion with a pint (or three) of this

2cf7guf.jpg

Though like Tray, Sweaty is a good Derbyshire/Peak District native, and as thus I guarantee isn't averse to the odd pint or 10!...and I'm talking the local golden nectar here guys, not Buxton Spa Water!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Indeed, I'll let you off the hook then TS...:cheers:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
It's called The Scotch Piper Inn, it's at Lydiate.

5280715451_d611fbb81e.jpg

It's probably one of the oldest pubs in England - and for sure the oldest pub in Lancashire - so realistically that probably makes it one of the oldest pubs in the world. I've been there many times, I used to go there quite a lot in my late teens and early 20's, then after I came back to England in 2009 I have been a few times since, we went to a folk-music night once, just a few locals on fiddles and guitar and flute with vocals, it was a lot of fun. It has quite a history if (like me) you have a particular interest in old English folk-lore and our ancient history, there's a webpage on the pub that you might find interesting...

The Scotch Piper

Sounds great & I'll defo check out the webpage :cheers2

For once, I'm blameless, blame Tray, she started it!!!! :D

Though like Tray, Sweaty is a good Derbyshire/Peak District native, and as thus I guarantee isn't averse to the odd pint or 10!...and I'm talking the local golden nectar here guys, not Buxton Spa Water!

210yl4o.jpg

Talk about dropping me in it, thanks TS :tongue: I did try and rectify it by posting a link to The Great British Pub thread (which is one of Sweaty's threads) :)

But I don't think Sweat ever minds a discussion about pubs!

205m48.jpg

TheSound

Reaction score
Talk about dropping me in it, thanks TS :tongue: I did try and rectify it by posting a link to The Great British Pub thread (which is one of Sweaty's threads)

Don't mention it. :tongue:

Oh OK, I just saw that British Pubs thread, so I should probably get over there, I have some great pics of some amazing pubs somewhere around here, there's actually one that I love above all others way up in Scotland in the Glens that I'll talk about later, you and Sooty especially aren't going to believe it, especially being big ghoul/horror fans, it's a pretty unique place, so watch this space (or should I say that space, the other thread)

Better give Sweaty his thread back right?

CONGRATS AGAIN SWEAT-GLANDS!!!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online