Need Help! Pink Floyd Question

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
My question is how did pink floyd influence modern musicians? Its for a paper.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That is a wide open question TB.

I am not a musician, but I do believe that as the band matured they became masters of creating perfect "Soundscapes" to enclose their lyrics. They rarely played any really fast uptempo songs over their career and yet were never boring to me anyway.

One thing that remained beyond dispute right up to the Pulse tour was nobody ever put on a more creative live show with effects and visuals as stunning as Pink Floyd. I remember Reba McIntyre going to the concert in Nashville, when they asked her why she wanted to watch PF she said, "Because they always have the best show and I want to see the best special effects in the business."

Don't know if that's much help TB, I am just a rabid fan after all...:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pink Floyd has always been a band that has very masterful and imaginative lyrics. The lyrics have always painted fascinating images to go with the "soundscapes" of the music. The song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is a lyrical masterpiece about Syd Barrett and his legendary status as a 'hermit'.

LG mentioned their light and imagery at the shows, which back in the day (1966), this was totally new in the UK, and has never been surpassed by any other band to this very day. The Wall tour had one of the most legendary stage shows ever in music history.

Dark Side of the Moon is a legendary classic of epic proportions as far as influence goes. That album alone remained on the top album charts for approximately 741 weeks (that is 14+ years)............

What modern bands did Pink Floyd influence? Radiohead comes to mind via OK Computer and Kid A. and Pink Floyd has exercised a huge influence on the electronic bands such as Nine Inch Nails, Reznor is a huge Floyd fan. I even believe Sigur Ros is a soundscapes influence from Pink Floyd.........

Hopefully this should get your paper started :)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
They invented post-rock!

Err... but your teech might not accept that. As it is not widely accepted in the community.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Pink Floyd has always been a band that has very masterful and imaginative lyrics. The lyrics have always painted fascinating images to go with the "soundscapes" of the music. The song "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is a lyrical masterpiece about Syd Barrett and his legendary status as a 'hermit'.

LG mentioned their light and imagery at the shows, which back in the day (1966), this was totally new in the UK, and has never been surpassed by any other band to this very day. The Wall tour had one of the most legendary stage shows ever in music history.

Dark Side of the Moon is a legendary classic of epic proportions as far as influence goes. That album alone remained on the top album charts for approximately 741 weeks (that is 14+ years)............

What modern bands did Pink Floyd influence? Radiohead comes to mind via OK Computer and Kid A. and Pink Floyd has exercised a huge influence on the electronic bands such as Nine Inch Nails, Reznor is a huge Floyd fan. I even believe Sigur Ros is a soundscapes influence from Pink Floyd.........

Hopefully this should get your paper started :)

Radiohead is a given but good job pointing out NIN and Sigur Ros! I can definitely get that! If they had one Classic Rock influence Pink Floyd would be it! It's like NIN is if Pink Floyd went reached their darkest peak and Sigur Ros is if they reached their lightest! I think most of the bands I choose are likely influenced by PF and The Doors the most! :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To be totally honest, Sooty, if you sit and think about it Pink Floyd has a lot of step children.........any band that uses an ambient, psychedelic feel to their music more than likely has some PF influences.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
To be totally honest, Sooty, if you sit and think about it Pink Floyd has a lot of step children.........any band that uses an ambient, psychedelic feel to their music more than likely has some PF influences.
They also had a major influence on the likes of Dream Theater

:cheers2

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Oh I know! Like I said the majority of the stuff I listen to which is in the loosest sense "alternative music" is way more influenced by them. The more poppier stuff I listen to is more influenced by The Beatles but my favorites have a closer connection to Floyd but I give The Doors just as much credit for creating a darker more mythic, spiritual side to their music that influenced a ton of them as well! It's all a mix in the end of various influences with each band having a diffeerent mix with a new twist/s that gives them their own sound! :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You're Welcome. I dont know if my ramblings helped you or not, but hopefully it steered you in the right "google" direction.

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online