My Album Review Thread

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
I made an account on the forum last year, but I vanished due to commitments I had with other forums. I'm back but I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to comeback until now.

Instead of making a bunch of topics for individual albums I thought I would just make one topic to review albums. My reviews aren't exactly Pulitzer prize material, I have a problem with transferring my thoughts to paper but I will try my best and I hope you enjoy. I will definitely have more to say when reviewing albums I've heard before compared to ones I'm hearing for the first time.

Enjoy :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I look forward to reading your "Musings" on music Fittydollar.:cheers:

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair (1985)
2011225b9da0a7edecaaf010.L.jpg
Producer: Chris Hughes
Label: Phonogram/Mercury Records
Length: 41:19

Preview: Their 1983 album "The Hurting" put the synth pop band on the map, but their sophomore album Songs From the Big Chair made them a household name in the 80's. It was their biggest selling album and it went number one on the US charts. If you've never heard this album you've probably heard the famous hit "Everybody Wants to Rule the World".

The Tunes: The Hurting was the band's darker album with leader Roland Orzabal dealing with his rough childhood. Songs From the Big Chair feels more uplifting and compared to The Hurting it feels more mature/refined. My three favorite songs on the album are, Shout, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, and Head Over Heels. This album hits you with a lush wall of sound.

Overall: Tears for Fears were on top of their game when they released Songs From the Big Chair. If you're a fan of synths and 80's music in general you have to give this album a whirl.

Favorite Tunes: Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Shout, Head Over Heels, The Working Hour

My Verdict: 4.4/5

Reaction score
Shout will always bring back the memory of my eighth grade study hall.. One of my buddies was in a different study hall, so I just started going to his instead of mine.. The teacher that ran my study hall never had a clue where the hell I was, and the teacher's who's study hall I "switched" to was either too dumb to know I wasn't supposed to be there, or he was cool enough not to care.. quite honestly, with him, it could go either way:heheh:
He would always play this CD, and usually repeat Shout twice each time through:heheh:

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
Shout will always bring back the memory of my eighth grade study hall.. One of my buddies was in a different study hall, so I just started going to his instead of mine.. The teacher that ran my study hall never had a clue where the hell I was, and the teacher's who's study hall I "switched" to was either too dumb to know I wasn't supposed to be there, or he was cool enough not to care.. quite honestly, with him, it could go either way:heheh:
He would always play this CD, and usually repeat Shout twice each time through:heheh:

That's what I do sometimes :tongue:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have always liked Tears for Fears, the early albums. I have their first 3 albums. IMHO, they are underrated, considered pop-fluff by a lot of people. I haven't really checked out any of their newer material since they reunited.

Nice review, Fittydollar. I would give Songs From the Big Chair a rating of 4/5.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I do like Tears for Fears "Songs from the Big Chair", bought that one on vinyl and then CD years ago.

Everybody Wants to Rule the World is my pick for best song.:D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I like Tears For Fears...Shout is a dark tune and I agree...I really like Everybody Wants to Rule the World

:grinthumb

Canadian Air Force

Reaction score
Slowdrive - Just for a Day (1991)
2364467107_1718e3886d.jpg

I just started listening to this band recently. Their 1993 album Souvlaki is hailed by many as their best album but when I try new bands I always start with the debut and work my way up no matter which album I am recommended or which album has the best reviews. It's just a habit.

Slowdrive was a big part of the shoegaze genre of music. There is a bigger emphasis on guitar effects, and vocal melodies/harmonies creating a wall of sound sort of. This is a love it or hate it genre. Waves was a fantastic song, overall this album was good. Other than Waves, nothing was spectacular about the album but I liked what I heard and I will dig deeper into the band's discography.

Favorite Tunes: Waves, Primal, Catch the Breeze

My Verdict: 3.8/5

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Hey Fitty! I just discovered Slowdive a month or two myself! I read about them while going through some old music magazines, reading a review and youtubing it. I actually made a band thread for them here. They are a good band to chill too! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WarrenCald

Staff online

Members online