gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
253081_287878691312769_170728070_n.jpg

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
^^^ Cool pic with Sir James :grinthumb

TB, still awaiting delivery of 2nd Law, so would need to give it a few spins before I could comment on best track or order of songs.

Kuaizi

Reaction score
Listening to the new album now - I'm really digging it! I'll have to rank the songs and vote for my favorite after I am done... it's very different from their previous albums which will probably turn off a lot of Muse fans - but I think the song writing is superb~

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Knights of Cydonia (the No-one's Going to Take Me Alive part) is being used in a trailer for the Merlin TV series, on BBC 1, and I cannot get it out of my head. The worst thing is, I'm not a Muse fan. I don't know if anyone has mentioned that Matt Bellamy is George Bellamy's son? George was a member of The Tornados, who had a hit with the Joe Meek-produced Telstar, and some think that Knights of Cydonia (a region of Mars) is a reference to that record. The radio edit definitely uses the melody and replicates the weird electronic sound in the intro. The harmonies seem a bit Queen-like to me, while I need more time to work out where they borrowed the heavy guitar riff. Heinz Burt and Clem Cattini were also members of the Tornados.

Last edited:

Kuaizi

Reaction score
So I finished listening to the album - twice! So the track I was most surprised by was Animals. Wow - that's a great track! Love the harpsichord in it and the last line: "kill yourself, do us a favor." Anyways, I found the weakest song to be Save Me - I feel Chris' vocals are good on the next track, Liquid State, but I feel with Save Me it's just a bit too long and not much going on in the song. Also, I don't really care for the 2nd Law songs at the end - they are ok but nothing like Exogenesis at the end of The Resistance. I think the problem is mainly the spots where there is talking. The songs seem to just linger while there are some voices going on. But other than that - I really like the rest of the album. I have to say (and I'll get flamed for this), Survival is my favorite track on the whole album. It's just too epic!

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
It's occurred to me that the heavy bass riff in Knights of Cydonia is from the original Dr Who theme. I understand Matt Bellamy is not averse to a bit of space rock.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I've just noticed that Tray mentions George Bellamy and Telstar in her album review of Black Holes and Revelations.

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f37/muse-black-holes-revelations-2006-a-6281/

Yes I'd say it's a given that Telstar inspired Knights of Cydonia :) Have you seen the 2008 film 'Telstar: The Joe Meek Story' Big Ears? Interesting viewing!

It's occurred to me that the heavy bass riff in Knights of Cydonia is from the original Dr Who theme. I understand Matt Bellamy is not averse to a bit of space rock.

He certainly isn't! This song always reminds me of the Dr Who theme

Uprising

So I finished listening to the album - twice! So the track I was most surprised by was Animals. Wow - that's a great track! Love the harpsichord in it and the last line: "kill yourself, do us a favor." Anyways, I found the weakest song to be Save Me - I feel Chris' vocals are good on the next track, Liquid State, but I feel with Save Me it's just a bit too long and not much going on in the song. Also, I don't really care for the 2nd Law songs at the end - they are ok but nothing like Exogenesis at the end of The Resistance. I think the problem is mainly the spots where there is talking. The songs seem to just linger while there are some voices going on. But other than that - I really like the rest of the album. I have to say (and I'll get flamed for this), Survival is my favorite track on the whole album. It's just too epic!

Great to hear you speak so positively about it :grinthumb Still awaiting delivery of my album, but received confirmation from Amazon this morning that it's been dispatched, so I hope to have it soon! I've bought the delux edition which has a DVD included with the CD :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online