MTV going back to "music"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
exclaim.ca

MTV Unplugged' Is Getting Rebooted as Network Finally Starts Playing Music Again

unplugged.jpg

It's been home to godawful (yet endlessly watchable) reality shows and teen dramedies, but it's official — MTV is finally going to start showing music again. Today (April 21), Viacom announced that the flailing network will finally snap out of its decades long identity crisis with some new musical content.

The MTV generation will be happy to note that one of its staple shows is set to come back. Featuring stripped-down, often acoustic performances, MTV Unplugged is set to return.

The show ran off an on from 1989 to 2009, and featured a wide variety of artists including Nirvana and Jay Z (who performed with the Roots). While details are scarce about the reboot, it's part of the network's renewed dedication to music.

The network is also offering up a new, weekly music show, as well as a music competition series from Mark Burnett from The Voice. There are, however, also 11 new unscripted series and three scripted series. Further, the company has projects in the works with Drew Barrymore and Pitbull.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, the network's Sean Atkins insisted that the company's programming block speaks to a return to music.

"It says a few things, first and foremost that we're clearly bringing music as our muse back to the brand and returning it creatively to what inspires us," he said. "The idea of having music — in terms of what it means to pop culture and that it gives artists a voice and is always resonant to youth and an influencer of culture — has always been a great element of the MTV brand. We're leaning back into the heritage and resuscitating it and renovating it for today's generation."

Or, as the company's website put it, "MTV's new shows will make your uncle shut up about how we don't play music anymore."

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
MTV Unplugged is amazing, it's given us many of the best live albums. It really pushes artists to get out of their comfort zone and bring their A-game.

I wonder who they might get. Paramore did a good Unplugged although it was only 5 songs long. I hope Taylor Swift and Demi Lovato do ones.

Metal Health

Reaction score
I'm so excited to see this! Especially Unplugged. But, like you mentioned @Vader, I am really disappointed about Headbanger's Ball. When are these changes set to take place???

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
They might be going back to music but will it be GOOD MUSIC like it was in the 80s??

Most likely not....

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
They might be going back to music but will it be GOOD MUSIC like it was in the 80s??

Most likely not....

Good point mate. Will keep an eye on it.
Still prefer VH1 Classic.
Wish that they'd bring out a classic rock channel. That would be awesome :)

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
VH1 Classic plays almost no music vids anymore, though it's Metal Mania when they do.

Lister

Reaction score
Sad to think that almost an entire generation has grown up thinking of MTV as more of a reality tv network than a music video network. With the ease of finding exactly what you want ,when you want it on youtube, I wonder if it might be a case of too little too late for a true MTV revival. I wish them all the best, but I'm not holding my breath...

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Hmmm! We must get a different brand of VH1 Classic out here. They play mainly older pop stuff, but it's back to back music 24/7.

Maybe, but starting right now there is 1-1/2 hours of pop-up video, then the movies Hairspray, My Girl, My Girl 2. Then Bon Jovi: Inside Out, then Cribs: Gods Of Rock, then a series of something called 90's Rocked.

I don't check the lineup as often as I used to, but the only video blocks I would watch are 80's & Metal Mania. VH1 Classic dropped That Metal Show, so there's on e less thing of interest.

With 4 channels, you'd think they could afford to commit one to just music videos. But even then, I doubt they would play any of the bands I have come to love (symph metal, doom metal, folk metal). Even Sirius Liquid Metal skips all the best European metal bands I know.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sundaytakako

Members online