Most Overrated Bands of the 90's

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Axl's vocals arent the best, I agree, but it was his wild style along with Slash and Izzy that catapulted them to stardom.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I remember an old friend playing "Appetite..." when it came out, he told me they were going to be HUGE. I didn't get it at the time and went without any of their albums until a few years ago when I finally got a copy of their debut. I also think they are sort of like U2, benefiting from the lack of serious competition during their run.

My dislike of Axl aside, I just never got enthralled by the music of G 'n R that much.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have 3 albums...Appetite for Destruction, Lies, and Use your Illusion I (bought that for November Rain).

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I love Axl's vocals and I have all of G N' R's albums.....and I like all of them. In fact, "Appetite" is one of my favorite albums ever. It's lonely being a Guns fan in this neck of the woods. :peek: :heheh:

One thing people bring up a lot is how the word "overrated" is often confused with "I don't like that band". I think a more valid point is what was overrated vs. what is overrated. Obviously certain 90's bands are still very popular these days, many of them are some of the biggest touring bands in the world in fact. What about bands that were huge that have since drifted into the Where Are They Now File? Wouldn't artists like Hootie and the Blowfish, Backstreet Boys, MC Hammer, Ace of Base, Savage Garden, Bush, Eve 6, Third Eye Blind, and whoever else be considered much more overrated since they were so blown out of proportion and it was all for naught in the grand scheme? That's just what I think anyway.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea, Guns n Roses is definitely over-rated. But I do like 'em :)

I am just not a fan of Axl Rose.

Oh, and my biggest gripe against Metallica is when they sued fans........I mean WTH!!!!!!

I agree. Fair enough on suing Napster but suing fans was just making fans further think they sold out.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I love Axl's vocals and I have all of G N' R's albums.....and I like all of them. In fact, "Appetite" is one of my favorite albums ever. It's lonely being a Guns fan in this neck of the woods. :peek: :heheh:

One thing people bring up a lot is how the word "overrated" is often confused with "I don't like that band". I think a more valid point is what was overrated vs. what is overrated. Obviously certain 90's bands are still very popular these days, many of them are some of the biggest touring bands in the world in fact. What about bands that were huge that have since drifted into the Where Are They Now File? Wouldn't artists like Hootie and the Blowfish, Backstreet Boys, MC Hammer, Ace of Base, Savage Garden, Bush, Eve 6, Third Eye Blind, and whoever else be considered much more overrated since they were so blown out of proportion and it was all for naught in the grand scheme? That's just what I think anyway.

I respect people who stick up for their bands no matter what the odds.:grinthumb

Out of the other bands you mentioned Cosmic I actually have one Savage Garden CD...:blush:...but I haven't played it in over 10 years. Out of the rest I don't own a single album, I would put G 'n R in a different league above that lot.;)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to agree with Cosmic...........over-rated shouldn't mean you dislike the band.

We all have various personal reasons for thinking bands are over-rated. I think maybe the press can be partly responsible for the hype.

Now a days success is based on Itunes sales, not talent. To me, that is over-rating music.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The fans can also be a part of why a band is over rated, the ones who act like that band is the best thing since sliced bread and the level of worship over a band is another factor for me. Fanboys basically. Most times if a band to me is over rated in my experience it is because of the fans mostly. If you love the band then that doesn't apply but the ones who act like no one can think differently about them and be all elitist those fans easily cause a band to be what some consider a bit over rated.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^You are forgetting the "Fangirls" Riff...they are just as bad.;)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online