Most Overrated Bands of the 90's

Reaction score
Re: Most Overated Bands of the 90's

Nirvana made some good music, but I agree that they were blown into the sky after Kurt's death.

Radiohead...I can't get my head around them either for the most part, but I do respect them for what they've achieved. Also, listening to Pablo Honey (Which I'm slowly, slowly liking) it's easy to hear how ahead of their time they were back then. It sounds like it was released last year IMO when it's actually from 1993.

I've also never been able to see the appeal of Soundgarden, maybe they're just not for me, for whatever reason.

Has any band ever been given or received more cred off the back of one song than Sound Garden. For me so far Sound Garden would be the winner but i have only read the first page of suggestion's so far in this thread but by far and away the leader so far.

Nobody hated Nirvana more than me back in the day but compared to Sound Garden they made good music some what... and i can't believe i just said Good music and Nirvana in one sentence. I just got to go to toilet and wash my mouth out and come back...

Reaction score

Oooh, just discovered this thread.... where to start? (heh, anyone who knows me know where I'll start).

Nirvana, EASILY the most overrated band of the 90's and one of the most overrated bands in the history of rock/pop music. Ridiculous, incoherent, blathering lyrics that make as much sense as talking to a 3 yr old in many cases. As a guitar player, anyone who says that Kurt is anything more than average-at-best doesn't know squat about guitar playing. when I hear people say that their music was groundbreaking, lyrics were inspiring, etc, I can only shake my head and say "put down the ****ing peace pipe". Inspiring lyrics?

Uh yeah. I'm really inspired right now. When and if you can actually get a "message" from Nirvana lyrics, all too often, it's about self-loathing, woah-is-me, crybaby bullshit. I'm sorry if this crap connected with a bunch of depressed kids who now had a social reason to not wash or comb/brush their hair and generally just look frumpy. I'd say I'm sorry the dude killed himself, but I'd be lying, the only thing that bothers me about his death is that the selfish dink left behind a daughter without a dad, and that the media turned this selfish dink into some sort of musical martyr, hoisting him on some proverbial and undeserved pedistal.

I will give them credit in that they did have a couple of songs that musically were decent. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a good tune. It's too bad they didn't do more of this sort of thing rather than went into the dark, self-loathing despair direction. The lyrics of this song were pretty ridiculous, but fun rock shouldn't be "deep", at least not in my opinion.

Anyway, yeah, Nirvana = the MOST overrated band of the 90's, without question. there are others, but I'll post them separately.

AMEN to every last word. Thank God Meat Loaf brought hard rock raoring back with the most important album of the 90's Bat out of hell II.

Escapism rock although some of the lyrical content of Bat III was darker than previous Bat of Hell.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
This album title makes me giggle :heheh:

This is actually the perfect album title that would
sum up the vast majority of the 90's for me:

220px-AbsoluteGarbage-regulareditioncover.jpg
220px-AbsoluteGarbagelimited.jpg

(yeah yeah, don't tell me where this album came from or what year it came out,
don't think about it so hard)

I love my 80's which also has more than it's share of haters, so
if you love the 90's, my slam isn't against anyone, just an
over-generalized "think out loud" moment on the music that became
popular during that era.

;)

(but yeah ... the album title does make me giggle) giggle.gif

Reaction score
This album title makes me giggle :heheh:

This is actually the perfect album title that would
sum up the vast majority of the 90's for me:

220px-AbsoluteGarbage-regulareditioncover.jpg
220px-AbsoluteGarbagelimited.jpg

(yeah yeah, don't tell me where this album came from or what year it came out,
don't think about it so hard)

I love my 80's which also has more than it's share of haters, so
if you love the 90's, my slam isn't against anyone, just an
over-generalized "think out loud" moment on the music that became
popular during that era.

;)

(but yeah ... the album title does make me giggle) giggle.gif

Oh Oh Oh OH i just thought of another nominee the band " Garbage " Over Rated much ! Biggest novelty band of the 90's perhaps.

cyerob

Rock Princess
Reaction score

Once upon a time I was falling inlove but now I'm only falling apart. There's nothing I can do a total eclipse of my heart. Lol. :)

some jerk

Banned
Reaction score

Has any band ever been given or received more cred off the back of one song than Sound Garden. For me so far Sound Garden would be the winner but i have only read the first page of suggestion's so far in this thread but by far and away the leader so far.

Nobody hated Nirvana more than me back in the day but compared to Sound Garden they made good music some what... and i can't believe i just said Good music and Nirvana in one sentence. I just got to go to toilet and wash my mouth out and come back...

soundgarden had a bunch of hits. what's this one song u speak of?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

soundgarden had a bunch of hits. what's this one song u speak of?

I would guess they were speaking of "Black Hole Sun" which would be considered there breakthrough to the mainstream. It's far from the only track to get rotation SJ but most casual fans associate them with that one track. Personally I heard "Spoonman" first while there initial fans had a couple albums before that to get acquainted with the band! :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Staff online

Members online