More Respectable: Drums vs. Guitar?

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Which is more respectable, being a great drummer like Keith Moon or John Bonham or a great guitarist like Jimmy Hendrix or George Harrison?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
O.O It's not an issue of respect, don't think. But being a great guitarist is more impressive. I love drums like a dear, dear son. It's such an incredible and beautiful medium. And I'd like to sit here and tell you that I'm every bit as enthralled by a Ralph Molina drumbeat as I am a Neil Young guitar solo. But that's simply not true. I can't sing note-for-note along with Ralph's drum parts... but I know those Neil solos through and through.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
The guitar is a lead instrument and the drums simply are not. In that aspect alone I think the guitar garners significantly more respect in a group than the drums do. It's like asking if you find someone more attractive for their pretty face versus their spine.

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
The guitar is a lead instrument and the drums simply are not. In that aspect alone I think the guitar garners significantly more respect in a group than the drums do. It's like asking if you find someone more attractive for their pretty face versus their spine.

unless its a rhythm guitar.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Rhythm guitar isn't necessarily even a necessity but even so I think the guitar would respond with "See I can be lead and rhythm. Drums are just stuck being rhythm. I'm a twofer!"

;)

The Beatles

retired
Reaction score
Rhythm guitar isn't necessarily even a necessity but even so I think the guitar would respond with "See I can be lead and rhythm. Drums are just stuck being rhythm. I'm a twofer!"

;)

lol

but I still think theres a good amount of respect due to drummers. Its not an easy instrument to play.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Oh I'm not taking away what it takes to be a good drummer. I'm just saying that since the guitar has much more face time it gets more respect.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitewintermarket

Members online