Register to remove these ads

Michael Schenker Group (MSG)

Discussion in 'Metal' started by taha, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Senior Member

My only issue with Assault Attack (agreed it's a great album), as in other cases, is that Graham wrote the lyrics.

I love the guy as a singer, not so much as a song writer. Too wordy. Graham was best on Down To Earth where Roger Glover wrote the lyrics (except one track).

Ritchie likes this.
  2. Big Ears

Big Ears Music Lover

I could never get into the Bardens, Macauley, Bonnet versions of MSG (I haven't heard them with Leif Sundin). Macauley's voice does nothing for me, so I must be missing something. Kelly Keeling was a good match on The Unforgiven, recorded around the time of UFO's Covenant, and they should've worked together more. Schenker's playing is as delicate as ever, while Keeling seems to have a repressed anger.

After this, I did not hear the Slack, Logan and probably other material including Tales of Rock 'n' Roll, although I noticed In the Midst of Beauty has a very strong lineup. It was not until the Schenker-Pattison Summit that I started to listen to Schenker again. They were great and how I yearned for new material from this combination, but mysteriously it was never forthcoming.

3. Ritchie

Ritchie Senior Member

the UK but residing on Long Island New York USA
    Graham Bonnet 'disgraced himself' on stage and was fired by Michael.

I must admit that I prefer the early 1980s MSG although I did have the mid-1990s album Written In The Sand (I think it was called that?) and thought it sounded pretty good.

E-Z

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Senior Member

My favorite MSG is the early material with Barden & Bonnet. The McAuley Schenker material was good 80's era stuff, but Robin was usually critisized for having a weak voice. Unforgiven was the only later MSG album I ever bought and it was really good.

Like I said, Robin sounds better on this new album (along with Graham), but for all I know they're using autotune.

5. RockshotsPhotos

RockshotsPhotos Senior Member

Yes, Written In Sand is a fantastic album. The vocalist on that album, Leif Sundin, one of Schenker's best vocalists. According to Michael, the 90's were a dark period for him, but this album is a standout.

MichaelSchenker(2-14-1984(c)BillO'Leary)021.jpg