Metallica - Metallica {Black Album} (1991)

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Metallica (Black Album)
Cover_blackalbum_lg.jpg

Released August 13, 1991 (1991-08-13)

Recorded October 6, 1990 (1990-10-06) – June 16, 1991 (1991-06-16) at One on One Recording Studios, Los Angeles, California; Little Mountain Sound Studios, Vancouver, British Columbia

Genre Heavy metal

After the some what thin (lacking bass) production and ultracomplicated song structures of ...And Justice for All, Metallica decided to take a different approach. Metallica of the 1980's was extreme and fierce progressive thrash metal. Here they've laid back and put forth a solid heavy metal record that continued their string of releasing great albums.

The guitars on this album are pretty original and thick, but you can tell creativity was starting to fade torwards the end of the album. Regardless Metallica has created a gem here that has stood the test of time and then some.

The guitars mesh well - the rhythms, leads, and bass were well mixed to the point to where you could hear everything throughout the album. Hammett's solos featured a lot of use of the wah pedal which got kind of repetitive, but still fit well with the rhythms at most times. The acoustics were wholly melodic and noteworthy. Hetfield's voice was such that you could understand what he's saying throughout this entire album. He actually sings as opposed to the aggressive shout he had used for most of the other albums. The drumming is very simple, but powerful. Probably one of the best sounding drums on any album I have ever heard.

The bass guitar that was barely audible on "...And Justice For All" is not on this release. You can hear Newsteds efforts this whole album which I found great.

Production was it is awesome. That's what was lacking in prior releases - "...And Justice For All", "Master of Puppets", "Ride the Lightning", and "Kill 'Em All". They all had mixing that was below par (especially ...And Justice for All). But on this release everything sounded great and balanced.

This is a great album. One of Metallica's best.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Metallica - Metallica (Black Album)

Good review, I love this song the most on this album.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Nicely done CN :grinthumb The album that introduced Metallica to a whole new audience! Personal favourites from it are The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters and like Rif, I really like The God That Failed - a very emotional song. I used to love Enter Sandman but have had total overkill from it over the years, the only reason it's not a favourite anymore.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Enter Sandman has to be Metallica's most overated song.
Its a good song but it loses its edge and coolness after such overexposure to this song.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score

Agreed. When I first heard it I loved it but after hearing so many local bands cover it over the years and hearing it on the radio & tv a squillion times, it just lost its appeal.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Agreed. When I first heard it I loved it but after hearing so many local bands cover it over the years and hearing it on the radio & tv a squillion times, it just lost its appeal.

I also agree on The God That Failed being an emotional song, same with melodies like Nothing Else Matters and The Unforgiven.

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score

I love this album now but back then it was a major letdown for most of the diehard Metallica fans. Then came "Load" but that's a different story altogether. I wish they'd have made at least one more album like the Black Album. This was basically a one-and-done deal.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Good write up...I think it's a great album. Wasn't the first three (or four) but I didn't see it as a full on departure either at the time. It was and still is a well written heavy album! :grinthumb

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Some will say Master of Puppets was Metallica's peak which is not true, this album got more sales and drew in more fans, it really was Metallica's major peak but unfortunately after this is where Metallica started to drop in album quality. Also I found the production and sound of this album was way better then And Justice For All for obvious reasons, there are many things that are why I would always have to have this album in my collection.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I hated this album when it came out. Today I still find it just good and my least favorite of all the albums that I like by them including the newest one. More sales and more fans does not a good record make but I respect your opinions and the fact that you like this album a lot, Numb, Riff etc. I on the other hand see it as the beginning of their ( musical ) downfall.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online