Metallica - Metallica {Black Album} (1991)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Metallica - Metallica (Black Album)

I managed to acquire Lightning, Puppets, Justice and The Black Album in 45rpm vinyl format over the last couple months. Personally I think they sound better than any of the CD's released, although the audiophile editions are better than the standard CD's.

Anyway, I also would have liked them to do another album like this one, at least as far as production values go...:D I saw the documentary about the making of the Black album ages ago and it was entertaining. Especially the parts where Bob Rock pushed them all to be at their very best in the recording studio, a lot of intensity and some hard feelings but everyone in the band was proud of the end result. Lars even commented that he will be forever grateful to Bob Rock for helping them to create what he called the equivalent of Metallica's "Dark Side Of The Moon", referring to the massive sales and continued staying power on the charts.

I have not burned out on any of the songs off "Metallica", and absolutely loved the special vinyl edition of this record, it sounds amazing.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score

Nicely done CN :grinthumb The album that introduced Metallica to a whole new audience! Personal favourites from it are The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters and like Rif, I really like The God That Failed - a very emotional song. I used to love Enter Sandman but have had total overkill from it over the years, the only reason it's not a favourite anymore.

This is very true.. I didn't know Metallica till this album came out..

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I hated this album when it came out. Today I still find it just good and my least favorite of all the albums that I like by them including the newest one. More sales and more fans does not a good record make but I respect your opinions and the fact that you like this album a lot, Numb, Riff etc. I on the other hand see it as the beginning of their ( musical ) downfall.

To be honest I agree it was the start of their downfall but the reason I used the sales thing is the fact it drew in a new bunch of fans with the change to a more rhythmic style. I see a band peaking when their creative ability to try something different not only keeps a lot of the old fanbase but draws in more. Lot of people gonna disagree with me but thats fine, thats all strictly opinion on my part :)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

To be honest I agree it was the start of their downfall but the reason I used the sales thing is the fact it drew in a new bunch of fans with the change to a more rhythmic style. I see a band peaking when their creative ability to try something different not only keeps a lot of the old fanbase but draws in more.

Yeah, pop fans, alt fans, MTV fans...and alienated their true fanbase and their own community especially with the stuff to follow.

But whatever I didn't really mean to turn this into an anti-Metallica argument from my side I just have strong feelings about their "best" :rolleyes: album and the motive behind it. I still secretly ( or not so secretly I guess..) hate them for it and what followed even though it has ease up a bit since the last album. It just comes out sometimes :heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Yeah, pop fans, alt fans, MTV fans...and alienated their true fanbase and their own community especially with the stuff to follow.

But whatever I didn't really mean to turn this into an anti-Metallica argument from my side I just have strong feelings about their "best" :rolleyes: album and the motive behind it. I still secretly ( or not so secretly I guess..) hate them for it and what followed even though it has ease up a bit since the last album. It just comes out sometimes :heheh:

I concur though once bands start going all about commercial then the music tends to get shitter, its all just about money and not necessarily about being creative. Load and Reload are an example of Metallica watering down their music to ridiculously uninspired bluesy rock sound in parts, mainly I have a problem with the albums having so many filler songs. Then came Lars slandering the fans as close minded for not being tolerant of their nu metal sound on Shit Anger.
Whilst I like the Black album, the direness of it started after The God That Failed, the 2 songs after it I don't listen to much.

Last edited:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

This is why The God that Failed is a special song to me as I myself have lost family to cancer.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I see nothing wrong with the Black Album whatsoever, if it helped expand Metallica's fanbase beyond their early years then that does nothing but help them in the long run. Considering the Stunningly successful Death Magnetic world tour they just finished a few months ago it seems to me like they are as popular as ever.

Their die hard fans can revel in the early records they love so much, the post Black album fans can enjoy a more refined version of the band. Something for everyone.

This certainly isn't even close to the backlash that Bob Dylan experienced when he went electric back in the day.

What ****** me off more than anything is the semi-shitty production value of Death Magnetic, for gawd's sake guys you have this album as a template to at least get the recording to sound really good, and that does nothing but help them on every level.

Some purists were so pissed off they have used their home studio software to remix a better version...:heheh:...I have three myself.:D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I see nothing wrong with the Black Album whatsoever, if it helped expand Metallica's fanbase beyond their early years then that does nothing but help them in the long run. Considering the Stunningly successful Death Magnetic world tour they just finished a few months ago it seems to me like they are as popular as ever.

Their die hard fans can revel in the early records they love so much, the post Black album fans can enjoy a more refined version of the band. Something for everyone.

This certainly isn't even close to the backlash that Bob Dylan experienced when he went electric back in the day.

What ****** me off more than anything is the semi-shitty production value of Death Magnetic, for gawd's sake guys you have this album as a template to at least get the recording to sound really good, and that does nothing but help them on every level.

Some purists were so pissed off they have used their home studio software to remix a better version...:heheh:...I have three myself.:D
You certainly get no argument from me there, I wouldn't mind seeing a Magnetic review from yourself actually, Im glad I aint the only one who noticed the bad production.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

This is why The God that Failed is a special song to me as I myself have lost family to cancer.

That's probably my favorite song on there and I don't hate the Black album really. It's a good album I just don't like what it represents to me and then the next two albums :wtf:...

BTW I predicted their major jump into the mainstream money market by whatever means necessary after the Black album and my friend couldn't figure out how I saw it coming. It was obvious to me.

Sorry guys, I know there are a lot people who love this album and I am really not trying to troll ...just letting some pent up Metallica frustration out :heheh:

I'm done, carry on w/ The Black album love.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jason Newsted delivers some of the best bass riffs in this album.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online