Mastodon (Official Thread)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I agree with both of you, the album does get better with each listen, but it's not nearly as good as "The Hunter" was and thus, it feels like a slight disappointment to me. I can appreciate the fact that they did something different though and on the positive side, expectations – which are usually sky high – will be lower for the next one, which could work to their advantage.

That being said, who knows, maybe the album will click with me differently in a couple of years and it'll become one of my fave Mastodon albums :heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Hunter if anything was good but a slight let down after the classic that was Crack the Skye. I think Once More did a bit better.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
You are right, RR. "Crack the Skye" is better than "The Hunter", but "The Hunter" didn't feel like a let-down to me. I played that one endlessly when it came out and still listen to it regularly. For me personally, the first four Mastodon albums are not far apart as far as quality goes.

Let me just throw in there, that I saw Mastodon perform the whole "Crack the Skye" album live in 2010. Holy shit, that was AWESOME!

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
great metal/prog band each album is better than the last...:bonk:

I'd agree with that up to "The Hunter". "Once More 'Round the Sun" felt like a step back to me. A really solid album that grew with time, but not quite on par with past material. That being said, I still rate Mastodon among the absolute best metal bands of the 00s.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Hunter and Once More didn't beat Crack The Skye.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have to admit of all their albums, Remission took me the longest to actually properly get into. Not sure why maybe it is that sludgier music at the time was a bit off my taste but now though I can accept this as an enjoyable album. Some great heavy riffs on Workhorse.

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
f-f-f-f-flipping love Remission pure Mastodon...thanks for the warhorse dude...

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Mastodon artwork

Mastodon put out great albums...with the most wonderful artwork!

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online