Magazine (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
up-mag.jpg

howard_devoto_1294257c.jpg

Magazine on Wikipedia

Magazine are an English post-punk group active between 1977 and 1981. Their debut single, "Shot By Both Sides", is now acknowledged as a classic and their debut album, Real Life, is still widely admired as one of the greatest albums of all time. The band was formed by Howard Devoto after leaving punk band Buzzcocks in early 1977, deciding to create a more experimental and less punk band who later influenced many musicians. Magazine reunited for a tour through Britain in February 2009, with almost all the most remaining and "classic" line-up during their brief time, with the exception of guitarist John McGeoch who died in 2004 and was replaced by Noko, who had played with Devoto in Luxuria.

Tha band made four albums and Howard Devoto went on to make some solo recordings, here is a classic:

Studio Albums

1978 Real Life
1979 Secondhand Daylight
1980 The Correct Use of Soap
1981 Magic, Murder and the Weather
2011 No Thyself

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Re: Magazine

Top band Sweaty! I have one MAGAZINE album[ real life] and really should have more....McGeoch apart from being an insplring guitarist was a pretty mean sax player too! Loved his work with SIOUXSIE +THE BANSHEES and ARMOURY SHOW.
Blimey! just noticed on the "real life" sleevenotes it was recorded in 1978! yet the album sounds mid 80s........they were much too "clever" for the punks at the time
Ofcourse MAGAZINE recently reformed and i saw footage of Devoto and band on the Jools Holland show......and was im afraid dissapointing.
Im not going to be put off by this....and put "real life" on my play list........Id love to hear "the correct use of soap" album again too

Last edited:

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Iplayed the real life album yesterday Sweaty...still very good after time.There also was some good synth work going on.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Here's the Magazine song that I remember getting a lot of airplay back in the olden days:

"About The Weather"

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

Well the news is that Magazine have a new album out and Howard Devoto may be working back with The Buzzcocks according to LOu, will post some of the new stuff soon, I will probably buy their new album:)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

I think Im sure Ive read somewhere that Devoto may be working or playing "live" with his old band BUZZCOCKS again Sweaty.....but:bonk: I cant remember where....so ... oops.er I could be wrong:uh:
I ve just checked out a few tracks off the MAGAZINE comeback album....Hmm not bad..some good riffs etc

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I need to check it out Lou, will probably have a blast on YouTube tomorrow, would be great to see them live, I will have to check out if they are playing anywhere nearby:)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Here are a few more tracks, from what I hear it sounds pretty damn good to me, I will be buying it asap:)

Still as good as ever:cheers:

mich

Reaction score
Loved the album "Correct use of Soap". Saw them live in Melbourne in the early 1980's when they were doing a pub tour.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online