• Made In Japan

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Song Remains The Same

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters

scarabus

Reaction score
I was looking for this battle....

My vote goes to Made In Japan a true and magnificent live album.
Deep Purple were a much better live band than Led Zeppelin.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
This was tough, but I went for Purple because I am a dyed in the wool DP fan. However, it is not the best Mark II album, because it is too indulgent; whereas The Song Remains the Same, especially the ProTools version, has a good Zeppelin performance.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Made In Japan...which was compiled from a mere four[?] night stand at The Budokan. The Song Remains The Same is FAR from the best live work by Led-Zeppelin. Most of the material was recorded near the end of an extensive U.S. Tour with the band exhausted.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
^^ Having listened to a number of live Zeppelin recordings I have to agree 100% ( I noticed it upon first listen with nothing to compared it to as well..).
TSRTS is a very loose performance that borders on sloppy and nothing even close to what a true Zeppelin live experience should be. It should have never been released as a documentation or representation of Zep in the live arena, as it falls way short, just as the band themselves stated over and over again.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
TSRTS was shot around the time of Plant's vocal complications and rumored throat surgery and wasn't him at his best. I like it though if you really want a better Zep live you need to go with HTWWW, and yes I like it better than BBC Sessions too. The best thing about it is the energy of the crowd and how they fed off of it so well.

I have been wanting to check out Made in Japan for a good while now though. Maybe now is a good time. :)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
It's not so much just Plant as Plant AND Page's performance that I hear as being just a bit off..mostly Page just seems to be a split second out of whack off the groove...Plant, though not at his very best, still puts in a respectable performance over all ,IMO.

Jimmy is way off time in a few **** ups..it happens to anyone who plays from time to time ( even Page )..no matter how great they are. Should never have been released as it is not a true testimony to the greatness of Zeppelin live.

Deep Purple on the other hand are as on as on can be on Made in Japan even if a bit over indulgent

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
^^Having listened to a number of live Zeppelin recordings I have to agree 100% ( I noticed it upon first listen with nothing to compared it to as well..).

TSRTS is a very loose performance that borders on sloppy and nothing even close to what a true Zeppelin live experience should be. It should have never been released as a documentation or representation of Zep in the live arena, as it falls way short, just as the band themselves stated over and over again.
Well said...

Page always said it was a soundtrack nothing more to a film that was then an impulsive decision to do. Says so on the album itself. For a live offering, he wanted a chronological release from 1969 onwards but never came about to putting together. There was the added hitch of syncing it up to the movie which was a disastrous patchwork of footage with one member refusing to wear the same clothes on three consecutive nights along with the change of a film crew/director halfway through.

I have the extensive three disc set of Made In Japan. They were more relaxed without having to crisscross all over the country and it showed in their sets. Oh and I picked the Purps... Love the Zep but I ain't THAT blind comparing [grin].

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indomoraltales123

Members online