Lynyrd Skynyrd (Official Thread)

Pappy

Reaction score
I don't see why anyone would hate it. Just a bunch of guys having fun and jamming on a great track. That's what it's all about! I'm sure with all the songs Metallica played and all the guests they played with that week they probably rehearsed this maybe twice lol. The album version off Metallica's Garage Inc is fantastic too.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
I guess the new band must be hit or miss.
I've seen them a couple times and they were pretty good.
I mean it's not going to live up to the originals but when the lights popped and I heard the opening of Working For MCA I have to say it felt pretty damn good.
They put on a pretty good show when I saw em.
I'll see them again.
Maybe next week in fact.

Pappy

Reaction score
I guess the new band must be hit or miss.
I've seen them a couple times and they were pretty good.
I mean it's not going to live up to the originals but when the lights popped and I heard the opening of Working For MCA I have to say it felt pretty damn good.
They put on a pretty good show when I saw em.
I'll see them again.
Maybe next week in fact.

I saw them open for ZZ Top back in 99 maybe. Stole the show. I've watched and listened to many performances since then. The band is just as tight as the old granted they are not writing as good of material on record but live they do justice. Johnny is a very unfairly underrated singer due to not being his brother. He'll never get the praise he deserves. I'd even argue he does some songs even better than Ronnie.

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
I'd say that Skynyrd still rocks mightily.
I thought they were great Friday night.
Basically they played One more from the road with some songs from Street survivors thrown in and they of course nailed them all.
The thing with Skynyrd is that they don't alter the way they do songs.
They play them just like the record. Ronnie, when he was still alive, insisted on it and didn't want any improv. That's what it said in the book I read about the band.

Marshal Tucker is a shadow of their former glory but even they weren't bad bad.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
They play them just like the record. Ronnie, when he was still alive, insisted on it and didn't want any improv. That's what it said in the book I read about the band.

Right! Gary sticks to that rule, he has mentioned it in several interviews. He wants the band to basically play the songs note for note as they are on the records. They used to throw in some solos during shows and they've done the occasional medley, which called for a bit of improv, but they certainly won't turn a known song into a jam. If you've heard enough live shows (from different tours), you'll sometimes notice some small changes, like the intro to a track being slightly altered, check out the funky intro to "Travelin Man" on "One More For The Fans" or the "Free Bird" intro on the 2015 European tour for some good examples, but the basic song stays the same.

I don't care what people say, the current line-up and just about any of the post-crash line-ups have been excellent. They've released great records and they're remained outstanding live. I travelled halfway across Europe to see them some months ago and I'd do it again without hesitation.

kbbgood

Reaction score
Lynyrd Skynyrd

A few years ago I was in a town the other side of the state and had the radio on and they were playing a version of simple man from skynyrd that was not the same old version we always here. It was better, more hard rockin but still not live. Does anyone know of an album that may have had a version like that on it?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of...Are you sure it was Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Confederate Railroad has a tribute album called Skynyrd Frynds with a version of Simple Man that is outstanding.

Also Shinedown has a cover of Simple Man that would make Ronnie Van Zant smile!

Last edited:

kbbgood

Reaction score
I am sure it was Skynyrd but thanks. I will check out the stuff you talked about.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online