Lou Gramm vs. Foreigner

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth:

Former FOREIGNER Singer Accuses Band's Current Lineup Of 'Misleading' Fans - Aug. 11, 2011
Former FOREIGNER singer Lou Gramm has accused the current version of the band of "misleading" the fans and "false advertising" by recruiting a singer, Kelly Hansen, whose delivery so closely mimics Gramm's performance on such classic songs as "Cold As Ice", "Waiting For A Girl Like You" and "Feels Like The First Time".

When asked by Spinner.com if it's strange to know that he is being "replicated," in a sense, at FOREIGNER's current concerts, Gramm replied, "It is. It totally is. But what's stranger to me is that, as I've learned talking to people who see those shows, is that in many cases the audience, especially if they're younger, don't even know it's not the original lead singer. In FOREIGNER's case, as I understand it, the singer was actually trained to deliver pretty much exactly everything as I did it, note for note. If I were in the audience and learned that while I was there, I'd get up and leave. I think when the band name remains the exact same, but something as important as the lead vocal is different, it's misleading. It's like false advertising."

According to AllMusic Guide, Gramm was sidelined with several health issues in the late 1990s. He was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor on the eve of the band's planned Japanese tour in 1997, and the surgery that followed damaged his pituitary gland. After a year of rehabilitation and radiation treatment, the singer made a full recovery and resumed touring in 1999. He split with FOREIGNER once again in 2003, however, preferring to tour in support of his solo material instead.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
He does have a point, but a small one. If he left Foreigner and they want to find a "clone" to recreate the original sound as closely as possible, I have no problem with that.

If Mick Jones wasn't in the current edition of Foreigner then they would be a tribute band.

Styx and Journey and now Yes have all got new vocalists, and they are similar to the guys they are replacing, but not identical.

Anyone that is curious about Foreigner can look up every detail with the click of a button, so this is just a tempest in a tea cup the way I see it.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
It kinda freaks me out when the original lead is replaced with a replica.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Doesn't bother me at all, I will listen to a new incarnation of any band with an open mind, but I admit most of the time I prefer the original, just hidebound or used to that "voice" over the years.

Still if it sells Foreigner albums Lou Gramm gets something out of this for nothing.(I mean the early and best ones of course, I don't own any without him in the band.)

His fights with Mick Jones are legendary, they can't be together for very long before it just starts going wrong.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
No I can't agree, the debut and Double Vision are my favorites, and always will be.

I'm not taking anything away from Mick's efforts to keep them alive all these years but the original line up will always be my favorite.

ANF

Reaction score
I find it sad that so many people are loyal to brands instead of singers. If Styx, Journey and Foreigner did a tour together (and those groups have all toured together in some form), it'd sell out arenas and be a big moneymaker.... yet if Lou Gramm, Dennis DeYoung and Steve Perry went on tour together... the guys who sang all the songs people want to hear (ok, Tommy Shaw had plenty of hits too with Styx, but still....), it would fill up a fraction of the seats even though they were the reasons people loved said bands.

It's like when Roger Waters toured the same time as David Gilmour's Pink Floyd did in 1987, he said in a documentary that he was selling about 1/10th the seats PF sold the same year.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^It's simply a case of brand recognition.

There is no way I can ever honestly say that I like the replacement vocalists better than the originals I grew up with.

If I was a new fan discovering all these bands for the first time, and saw them live with the current line-up, then bought the new albums before listening to the old classics then it would be different.

Many bands have changed singers and done well, many have foundered. Roger Waters has done alright the last few years, when he was here four years ago he almost filled the arena.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I don't think they are better now than what they were but I have no problems with the new line up for what they are doing.

Mick Jones is doing a good job and the new CD is really good. No denying that.

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Styx, Foreigner and Journey toured together on the same bill in at least the UK this summer just gone!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Staff online

Members online