List Your 1st Music Purchases by Format

Reaction score
How good is your memory?

List the first purchases you made with 45 RPM singles, Vinyl LPs, Cassettes, 8 Tracks, CDs etc.

45 RPM singles-this was my first format back in 1964. I think they cost 25 cents back then. Possibly bought 3 at the same time. My recollection is The Ad-Libs-"Boy From NYC", The Searchers-"Love Potion #9" and Shirley Ellis-"The Name Game"

Vinyl Album-Had to be a Beatles album in 1964. Probably Meet The Beatles

Never owned an 8-Track Cassette

Never bought cassettes, just made my own. Well, actually I did buy a few that were discounted to $1.99. A Peter Wolf (J Geils Band) solo album and an Art Of Noise album that had their version of the Peter Gunn theme song

CD-Was a bit late in starting to buy these.I think Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon was among the first I purchased

Misc-Never bought a quadraphonic album or an album on reel-to-reel tape even though I owned a machine

runningshoes

Great White North
Reaction score
The first album I bought on my own was Dark Side of the Moon. First cassette was Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage Acts II and III. First CD I got was Genesis, Three Sides Live. I'm pretty sure my first 45 was Jan and Dean. I never bought any 8-tracks, although I had one of those funky looking yellow portable players with the strap that I used to play my father's tapes.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Bought in 1973 I think. The Sweet's biggest hits. On LP. Cassette, don't remember. Cd also do not remember. Bought singles later then lp's. Must have been something from Alice Cooper.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Vinyl-"Alive II" -KISS
Cassette- never was much in cassettes but "Unmasked" -KISS cos they didn't have the record.
CD- "Smashes,Thrashes & Hits" -KISS
8Track-"Heart Greatest Hits" the only 8track I ever owned.
VHS-"KISS Animalize Uncensored"
DVD- "The Crush Tour" -Bon Jovi
Blu-Ray- "The Rolling Stones Hampton Coliseum"

BikerDude

Dude
Reaction score
Vinyl albums.
I had an older brother so his stuff was my musical tastes at first.
If I had to guess what my first purchase was I'd guess the first Boston album.
Followed by the first Cars album probably.

Had an 8 track tape player for the car but none of them ever held up worth a damn.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
• The very first "album" I ever bought was Abbey Road on 8 Track tape probably around 1974 when I was 14.

• I think the very first vinyl album I ever bought was Who's Next after I had bought my own stereo for my room when I was 16.

• I was never big on 45s, but I was a huge Stones fan in the 70's so I bought the non-album single "Everything's Turning To Gold" in the late 70's.

• The very first cd I ever bought was Dark Side of the Moon in 1987 so I could listen to it in all its glory without any snaps, crackles and pops. Ironically, the cd picked-up the "wow" and "flutter" of the heartbeat outro (apparently from the master tapes). Woops! lol

• And though I've never bought any pre-recorded cassette tapes, there was a place in Burbank California that you could order out of print music to be transferred to cassette tape -- for a fee of course. So considering it was, by now, the early 80's and the two 45's I wanted for their B-Sides were long out of print and no longer in record stores, I went down there (with my own blank cassette tape to cut down on my final cost) and I placed an order to have them copy the two B-Sides I'd heard on FM radio for years and always wanted -- "Join Together" and the live version of "Panic In Detroit". I think I paid five bucks for both songs. Then a few years later I read in the paper that the place was shut down because they weren't paying any royalties to the artists for the music they were charging the customers like me for. Woops again! lol

Frands

Reaction score
45rpm - San Francisco - Scott McKenzie/1968
1st album- The Best Of Bee Gees - Bee Gees/1969
Cassette: None as I had a Sony real to real tape recorder
CD: EB 84 - The Everly Brothers/1984

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
As far as I remember, my firsts:

Vinyl: The Eagles - The Long Run and/or Billy Joel - Glass Houses (can't remember which was first, but these were the two first albums I purchased with my own money)

8-Track: KISS - Double Platinum

Cassette: AC/DC - Back in Black

CD: Def Leppard - Pyromania (MFSL gold disc) / Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (MSFL gold disc) / Triumph - Classics / and one other album, can't remember which one, but I bought 4 discs on the same day that I bought my Kenwood stereo with a 6-disc player in it in 1989.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Vinyl ; Deep Purple - Made In Japan.
Tape ; Megadeth - Peace Sells But Who's Buying...
CD ; Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Schmetterling

Reaction score
My first 45 rpm single was The Move: California Man (I think)

First Vinyl album was Wishbone Four by Wishbone Ash.

Don't know what my first tape was and can't remember what my first CD was but it might have been Empire by Queensryche....

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online