KISS (Official Thread)

Hardnecker

Reaction score
Maybe Tommy will play like Tommy instead of Tommy playing like Ace. I thought Sonic Boom was pretty good other than the afforementioned.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Heh, no kidding.

Here's my thoughts on Tommy. At first (yrs ago), I was a bit upset that they had him donning the "Ace" uniform. WTF? That would have been the same as if Eric Carr had been the Catman (part deux). It didn't take long for me to realize this isnt' a bad thing.

Sure it's not Ace Frehley anymore. Ace is one of my all-time guitar heroes and one of the guys that most influenced me into playing the 6-string myself (along with George Lynch, Jake E Lee and a few others). However, Tommy can play Ace better than Ace can play Ace (if that makes sense). I love Ace to death, but in his few years back in Kiss, he wasn't as good as the old days. Still good. STill entertaining, but it was actually Tommy (his guitar tech/roadie) that reportedly had to re-teach Ace some of his old licks.

Tommy does a fine job of playing the "Space Ace" roll. I understand when some people say he should be doing his own thing and not always mimicking Frehley, but you gotta realize something... (and this is just my educated guess) ... Tommy was HIRED to play the Space Ace. He did not join the band as a new and incoming guitarist/songwriter/musician, but rather as a 'replacement' or 'a hired hand' for Ace. If he had a problem with it, don't you think he'd have tipped his cap and headed for the door by now? He's been with the band since March 2002. I'm sure he's enjoying what he's doing (again, guessing).

So, I for one am happy that KISS has been able to live on with the guitar and drum replacements, and still have Gene and Paul as the core of the group. They were always in front of the spotlight more than the other two anyway (not to take ~anything~ away from Ace, Peter, Eric, Bruce, Vinnie).

Hardnecker

Reaction score
I understand Tommy playing like Ace on the old Kiss songs, I get that part. But on Sonic Boom he plays like Ace and they are new songs that he could add his own flavor to. My take is Tommy is told what and how to play by Gene and he does what he is told. To me, Kiss was at their musical peak when Bruce was in the band and either one of the Erics on drums. I am all about the classics, don't get me wrong. But chops wise, it was Bruce and the Erics for me.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online