Kinks (Official Thread)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I agree, some of the best production was in the original mono mixes. Some bands could afford a good engineer to mix the tracks to Stereo, but some bands seemed to suffer. I think the Kink's original mono mixes sound better, but that's just an opinion. I also like several of the Beatles early hit's in Mono only.

^^ I'm sort of kicking myself because I brought "Please, Please Me" in Stereo and I feel like that every time I play it I hear something strange like someone is playing with the Volume control. :uh: I didn't notice it at first, but it seems to be some omen that I think I'm hearing some anomy because talk about getting the Mono Beatle Recordings. I even read in a Beatles publication that the Mono supersedes the Stereo.

Thank God the Kinks kind of give you both, even the Beatles Capital Albums offer Stereo/Mono versions, the UK albums looks like a cash grab for people to purchase both just to find out. :uh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Dave Davies Says There’s a 50/50 Chance of Kinks Tour

Kinks.jpg

Source Link

It’s up to Ray Davies to decide if and when the Kinks reunite for a tour in 2014. But Dave Davies, the band’s guitarist, makes it clear that he’s up for it. In fact, he says he told his brother that now is the time because they’re not getting any younger.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, an energetic Dave Davies doesn’t hold back, describing his brother as a manipulative “a–hole” and comparing him to ‘Star Wars” evil Emperor Palpatine. “But I have to thank him, because if he wasn’t so f—ing horrible to me, I wouldn’t have understood more about life,” he said.

Personality differences make the prospect of a new Kinks album seem very dim. Dave Davies said he can’t imagine spending days in the studio with his older brother. As for the tour, the two have talked about it several times in the past few months. “I’d say the odds of that happening are 50/50,” Dave said. The first two conversations went well, but the last one … “We had tea right before I came over to America, and he was so negative, grumpy and just mean.

“It was like he fell into a black hole,” he continued. “He didn’t want me to come back to America. I think it’s because I’m happy, and I was doing something without his approval. I feel like he was miserable because I was happy. He’s a really troubled man.”

The younger Davies was recently in the U.S. for a few few solo shows in support of his new album. They were the first since his debilitating stroke in 2004, and they went well, he said. A tour next year would be to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Kinks. But it would be the two Davies brothers with a new backing band; none of the other original members would be involved.

“I really do want to do something with Ray before we both decay and decompose,” he said. “I said to Ray last week, ‘We don’t have much time left.’ But he didn’t … Ray, what an a–hole he is.”

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
In fact, he says he told his brother that now is the time because they’re not getting any younger.

I really have to wonder about this, because I kind of think that The Kinks are one of those bands that younger folks like myself know about and if you're familiar with their musical style and enjoy it though the like of Ray Davies going around and performing the stuff Solo, then I don't see why younger folk wouldn't attend.

Perhaps it's a good opportunity to do the Village Green album Live, I reckon that would be pretty cool. :D

tkitna

Reaction score
Village Green, Something Else, Arthur, Face to Face,,,,any of those in its entirety and it would be a dream come true.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Ray Davies Announces New Album, Teases Kinks Reunion

Ray-Davies.jpg

It’s been a few years since Ray Davies released an album of new material, but it looks like the wait for his next studio LP might soon be over — and the future could even bring a few treats for long-suffering Kinks fans in the bargain.

Davies shared his upcoming plans during a recent interview with ABC News Radio, saying he intends to use his recently released road memoir, ‘Americana: The Kinks, the Riff, the Road: The Story,’ as the foundation for a new batch of solo recordings. Asked about the previously unreleased lyrics interspersed throughout the chapters, Davies revealed, “I’m happy to say that I’m going to start recording those as a sort of soundtrack to the book.”

According to Davies, the new songs started taking shape during his convalescence after the ugly 2004 incident in which he was shot by a mugger. “The songs formed this kind of diary while I was recovering in the hospital and the post-hospital in New Orleans, ’cause I wasn’t allowed to travel for many weeks,” he recalled. “So they act as a subtext to the story.”

The prospect of a new album is exciting for Davies fans, but the really intriguing news is his newfound willingness to reconsider a Kinks reunion. Although his legendarily testy relationship with his brother and bandmate Dave Davies has been fairly frosty in recent years, it sounds like things might be thawing between the squabbling siblings. Admitting he’d been enjoying the freedom of his solo career too much to revive the Kinks, he said, “I was walking down the street the other day and I thought to myself, ‘You know, I could write Dave a great song.’”

And it’s the writing that’s key for Davies. As he quickly pointed out, he isn’t interested in putting together a nostalgia tour. “My answer is ‘no’ if we’re just going to go out and play the oldies, ‘maybe’ if we can make good new music as well,” he mused. “I must write something new, something fresh, because … as long as I’m alive, I’m living in the present world and I want to be inspired by it and resonate the world I live in.”

Whatever happens with the Kinks, it seems likely we’ll get to hear the Davies brothers recording again soon. “I like writing for his voice and I like writing for his guitar sound,” Ray pointed out. “So, even if I just do the soundtrack to ‘Americana,’ there are some tracks I’d love Dave play on. So we’ll start from there and see how it works.”

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
For me,there has always been some un-named intrinsic value in Ray Davies' writing perspectives that captivates me sharply.Perspectives that even managed to greatly influence the great Pete Townsend in his efforts to create original material,a trend,of course,greatly proliferated by the Kinks,Stones and Beatles...................

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Talk of a Kinks reunion has been in the air since Dave Davies put the chances of a 50th anniversary cease fire at “50-50” last fall. In the meantime, the guitarist — whose dust-ups with sibling frontman Ray Davies are almost as famous as their songs — is still trying to sort out their tangled relationship.
“The thing is, there’s healthy relationships, and toxic ones,” Dave Davies told the Independent. “And the older I get, the more difficult I find it being around Ray, because — I don’t want to use the word abuse, but I feel my energy seeping away from me sometimes if I’m with him.”

Founded in 1964 by the Davies brothers, the Kinks haven’t performed together since 1996. Over a three-decade tenure together, however, Dave and Ray created timeless classics like “You Really Got Me,” “Waterloo Sunset” and “Lola” on the way to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. More recently, however, both have dealt with health issues.

In 2004, Ray was shot in New Orleans, and Dave suffered a stroke that nearly killed him. But the guitarist has bounced back with a new studio album, and plans his first hometown performance in 13 years at London’s Barbican Hall on April 11.

That flurry of activity, perhaps inevitably, led to questions about a comeback for the Kinks — and Dave Davies didn’t rule one out. The brothers reportedly met at pub last summer to discuss just such a thing, though no firm plans have followed.

And so it seems their partnership will continue this lengthy absence, at least for now: “Families are difficult, and you can learn from discomfort,” Dave Davies says. “Ray and I have been each other’s most important teachers — maybe that’s the clue to the whole relationship. … In my 30s and 40s, I resented the fact that Ray gave me so little credit for my input and creativity. But my love has always been relentlessly directed towards him.”​

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online