Kinks (Official Thread)

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Yeah I've heard nothing but glowing accolades for "Village Green" and I happen to be a HUGE fan of the "concept album" thing.Pete Townsend has always considered Ray Davies a very overlooked and important writer who had a tremendous influence on his earlier "pop hit" style or writing along with Lennon and McCartney.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Yeah, saw a docu on the kinks and they talked to both brothers, it was excellent to say the least. They talked about everything and their music. Love the kinks:)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I looked up the track listing for "Village Green" and the only song I know from it is "Days", which is a great song, though depending on which country you came from, that song wasn't included on the album. These days with CDs though the song is included as a bonus, but the 3xCD Edition of that album looks seriously good. :D

Khor1255

Reaction score
As much of Kinks fan as I am I have never owned an album. I'm going to have to fix that. Which one of the 60s slabs should I start with?

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I like all of them but if you can get Village Green then you need it on the 3 disc set, it is a must, what an album and it has all the b-sides that you can't get anywhere else. The 70's albums are true gems also, I was so amazed at the quality of the 70's stuff.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I'd watch out for The Kinks Live at Kelvin Hall (1967), while the performances are great along with the Medley at the end, though sound quality & a screaming hall turns it on it's head, it's just madness. :eek:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I had to applaud when VH1 Classic did a program about the origins of heavy metal and gave Davies and Co. much more than honorable mention along with the Yardbirds.Alot of people might still not realize their influences on the genre.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
The only link I can see the Kinks having a link with Metal is perhaps through Garage Punk, though some people say the Monkees started that with "I'm not your Stepping Stone". The Kinks would have done a little bit of Pop-Psychedelic, though so did the Monkees & The Beatles and I tend to think Psychedelic had an influence with Metal as well. The Yardbirds I think are comparable to The Animals as well as The Rolling Stones which all had Rock Roots with a Blues background, though they went Psychedelic too, so I guess other groups decided to have more of an edge based on what the demand was looking for. :D

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Whatever their influences have been,and I'm sure they exist to a great extent,the Kinks should be studied and revered by anyone who wishes to educate himself in the proliferation of pop music as major sociological force and art.This may not seem so to some at first light due to the fact that the band enjoyed their heyday in the relative shadows of the Beatles,Stones,Dylan,etc.They tend to be a bit overlooked,like Arthur Lee and Love.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
By pure luck I managed to get the Deluxe Edition of Village Green today. :D Naturally I paid an arm and an leg for it, though given it was the only copy in store, it maybe hard to find another one like it (except on Internet maybe). Definitely an unusual album, will have to listen to it a few times, the tracks which stuck out for me from that album are "Do You Remember Walter", "Picture Book","Last of the Steam Powered Trains", "Animal Farm", "Village Green" & "All My Friends Were There". My favourite track from the album bit is probably "Village Green", and the Orchestra Overdub on Disc 3 of it is quite interesting, I think of that song as Davies interpretation of the Beatles "Eleanor Rigby". :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online