Kate Bush (Official Thread)

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Couldn't resist picking up the latest issue of Mojo: 20 pages about Kate!

mojo-251-kate-bush.jpg

And this Uncut special:

Uncut-special.png

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Okay, so after Hounds of Love, Sensual World and the Kick Inside, I have just recently got The Dreaming. Absolutely hated it after the first listen! :gig Things started kicking in after the third listen. This is an intense album and there's a lot going on with the production and her fiery vocals. I'll be giving this a lot more listens over the next few days. Already certain songs are starting to sound interesting but nothing so far as good as what I've heard on those aforementioned 3 albums. What's everyone's thoughts on The Dreaming? Difficult album this.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I can't believe I've not noticed all the latest comments here - I got so used to pretty much talking to myself on this thread, lol, I didn't realise anybody had been on and didn't think to check :) I don't have time now but I will read the last two pages in more detail when I can :grinthumb

Thanks Tray for this great and informative thread. I have most of her albums on vinyl or CD and have loved her music over the years. Because she is out of the mainstream in RSA, not much is written about her and most of the stories you relate are new to me. Very, very interesting. Thanks again. :grinthumb

Thank you for your kind words!

Okay, so after Hounds of Love, Sensual World and the Kick Inside, I have just recently got The Dreaming. Absolutely hated it after the first listen! :gig Things started kicking in after the third listen. This is an intense album and there's a lot going on with the production and her fiery vocals. I'll be giving this a lot more listens over the next few days. Already certain songs are starting to sound interesting but nothing so far as good as what I've heard on those aforementioned 3 albums. What's everyone's thoughts on The Dreaming? Difficult album this.

Oh this is my absolute favourite Kate album, Musikwala! I think what you're feeling is quite a common thing, seems a lot of people have to listen to this album at least five or six time before it really starts to click. Don't Give Up on it :D

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
The Dreaming listening update: :D

This album is... um, wow! And I don't mean wow in a.. Wow! what a fantastic album! LOL. At this point it is more a wow, what the **** is she smoking here?? Anyway, I have been nothing but open-minded about this experience and that is why I continue to give this album multiple spins. Here is a breakdown on how I feel about the individual tracks at this moment in time:

1. Sat In Your Lap: I tried very very hard to get into this opening track but I'm still a bit underwhelmed by this. I do like parts of it... the lawyer/scholar bit among others, but overall I just find it completely devoid of any melody or memorable hook. How this was chosen to be the first single from this album I do not know!! But it gets better from here...

2. There Goes A Tenner: "Okay, remember..." Okay I like this one. It has sunk in after a handful of listens. The ending is a bit awkward/abrupt but maybe it is more memorable that way.

3. Pull Out The Pin: Boy, can she scream or what?! But I like this one. The riff is quite memorable.

4. Suspended In Gaffa: This is one of my favourites here! It instantly reminded me of Tori Amos. lol. Yes I know Kate is the predecessor and possible inspiration for Tori but the vocals here remind me a lot of Tori circa Pele era. Very good song. Perfect single material.

5. Leave It Open: Love the interplay between her backing vocal and lead here. Very interesting.

6. The Dreaming: Wow! This is like some kind of medieval chant or something. Very cool.

7. Night Of The Swallow: This actually hit me sooner than many of the previous tracks did. The music here is beautiful and the circular lyric is fascinating.

8. All The Love: This is flat out my #1 fav song here, along with Gaffa. Gorgeous!

9. Houdini: No. I can't make head or tail of this... yet.

10. Get Out Of My House: :gig Sheesh! No wonder they call this her angry album. I cannot get into this one either.

But overall, at this point I do enjoy a majority of this album, which I'm happy about. But certain songs are simply not clicking with me yet. :bonk:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Interesting to read your thoughts on each track Musikwala! Lol Kate used to enjoy the odd giggly smoke so she may well have been tripping here ;) One of the things I love about Kate is her eccentricity, her stunningly wild and unabandoned vocals and this album has it in the bucket load. It is a difficult album for a lot of people to get their head around, it's intense and touches on disturbing subject matter with songs like Get Out of my House, plus it's simply just too plain weird for some! You'll have to let me know if it grows on you anymore :)

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
wow wee found a copy of Kate`s album "Aerial" I`ve been after this album for some years now so happy to finally have it...Oh Tray73 forgot to say what a great thread...

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online