Kaipa

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
KaipaPhoto03.jpg

Kaipa are a Swedish prog rock band formed in 1973 by Hans Ludin. A few months after their creation, they recruited guitarist Roine Stolt (Who would go on to form The Flower Kings in 1994) and created their debut selftitled album in 1975. Kaipa made 2 more albums with Roine, before he departed in 1978. The band continued on without him for 2 more albumbs before disbanding in 1982.

They re-united in 1993 for only one album before taking another hiatus, this time until 2000. This time, Roine returned to the band and they have been making music ever since. 5 albums have been made this millenium, including one released only a few months ago, In The Wake Of Evolution. This is the album I was introduced to them by, and it's a stunner.

With a sound influenced by Yes, they even make reference to them with one of the lyrics of the title track: "We're closer to the edge than yesterday". They also have two lead singers, one male and one female, a feature that English band Mostly Autumn adopted. They also delve into folk music at times, while retaining a heavy guitar sound. Kaipa is definitely a band for a lot of prog fans to listen to, they've blown me away and are sure to do the same to many others :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I can tell you are impressed Sal, I'll put them on my list.

What is the Best album in your opinion, and I know you just discovered them recently.;)

Abraxas

Reaction score
I've listened too "Notes From The Past, Part One" and I found it very good. Sadly, that's all I've heard from Kaipa.

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I can tell you are impressed Sal, I'll put them on my list.

What is the Best album in your opinion, and I know you just discovered them recently.;)

Well that depends, In The Wake Of Evolution is obviously my personal favourite, but their first 3 albums all get good ratings as well. I'll see if I can get my hands on them and give you a proper rating in a few days but for now I'd recommend their latest work ;)

And I've been impressed by quite a lot of new prog that I've been recently discovering :D

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
OK, I found a good download, but it's in FLAC so my brother's gonna hate me for sucking up so much downloads. It'll be worth it though, I can give you guys and myself an inside scoop on their 70's output! :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I have 6 of their albums now Sal, except the one you recommended...I'll look around for it later.

FLAC is the best, I will always take them over any lossy files.:rock:

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
The only problem I have with FLAC's is the size, my current harddrive isn't exactly ample and although I'll be getting a new one for my birthday in a few months, MP3's are a lot more convenient for me at this moment :D Plus as I said before, I've already done more downloads since the 19th than I usually do in a month, and I've got a lot more to get done after finding yet more awesome prog bands! :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Get a copy of Daemon and install it, then burn your FLAC's to DVD. Daemon is free and it works very well for archiving purposes, saves room on your HD and you have a permanent copy.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online