Judas Priest (Official Thread)

Pappy

Reaction score
The biggest difference for me between the Ripper era in Priest and the Blaze era of Maiden was live. Ripper held his own during Rob's songs. Blaze just plain couldn't do Bruce's stuff. Not that Blaze is a bad singer, just a much different singer than Bruce.

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
On most, I agree, but I actually feel he did the best version of Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ripper Owens for me was never an issue on either Priest album. What Demolition's problem was is the lack of any memorable music on there. Angel of Retribution was a good return to form at that time for the band.

Pappy

Reaction score
When you put the two Priest albums next to the 2 Halford albums from the same period. You see how much a part of the songwriting Halford was to Priest.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah the songwriting went way downhill after Painkiller and you could tell instantly despite liking Jugulator. The problem for me was never Ripper Owens but the rest of the band who couldn't write anything particularly memorable in that period.

Pappy

Reaction score
If I remember correctly Ripper got zero say in any of the writing. Heck you can listen to Tipton's solo stuff. Sounds just like Jugulator/Demolition. That all being said...

and that last scream on VOC HOLY SMOKES

Malikarcanum

A Child in Time
Reaction score
I was about to say. The writing on Jugulator was all Glen & KK, & Glen wrote all the lyrics. I think it was a conscious decision by the band to get heavier. Hell, it might've happened had Halford stayed, his Fight record wasn't all that different.

Last edited:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I felt the same about Blaze's Maiden albums, the writing was nowhere near as good as it was/is on Bruce's albums.

Some of the songs were good, but many were very repetitive lyrics-wise.

I liked the Ripper Priest more than the Blaze Maiden.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
i heard the first priest the other day and its pretty cool-ive most of their stuff with r halford

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online