John Lydon VS Green Day

Reaction score
Sounds like sour grapes to me...I don't mind Green Day, I play "American Idiot" once in a while...one of my friends thinks Dookie is their best work we agree to disagree about that.

If nothing else it gets GD's name in the press, and as Sooty loves to say any publicity is good publicity.:grinthumb

Around American Idiot, they got a bit too political for me, I don't listen to that album or the new one because I don't really like the tunes as much as the older ones, but I can deal with artists being outspoken and political, but when they try to make their music fit the image, I lose interest... Green day started to make their music sound stereotypical to the image that it seems they were trying to present, IMO.. They also lost the sense of fun in their music... So, Warning and Dookie for me:grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
John Lydon's always slagging somebody off...

and didn't he call Sting a 'soggy old dead carcass' a few years ago?

He should stop his spouting and stick to his butter commercials if you ask me.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^^

I have to say that I enjoyed the Neil Young bit though...saying Neil Young wouldn't talk to Johnny Rotten because he only talks to people he knows...then Johnny points out the lyric 'This is the story of Johnny Rotten" through an impression. :heheh:

But outside of that...don't know why he's sooo bummed out about Green Day...good band...the last two albums were awesome and two of the best albums they made IMO.

In the end they made alot more than the Sex Pistols with the number of albums/songs they have :confused:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Around American Idiot, they got a bit too political for me, I don't listen to that album or the new one because I don't really like the tunes as much as the older ones, but I can deal with artists being outspoken and political, but when they try to make their music fit the image, I lose interest... Green day started to make their music sound stereotypical to the image that it seems they were trying to present, IMO.. They also lost the sense of fun in their music... So, Warning and Dookie for me:grinthumb

That is why I like that album, it showed growth to me in the band. I don't always agree with the stances/opinions bands deliver in their thematic songs/albums but I thought AI is by far their best work.(And no I don't think the American people are all Idiots either, the politicians yes that is a no brainer and mine are even worse because they are the ones wrecking my country.)

Reaction score
That is why I like that album, it showed growth to me in the band. I don't always agree with the stances/opinions bands deliver in their thematic songs/albums but I thought AI is by far their best work.(And no I don't think the American people are all Idiots either, the politicians yes that is a no brainer and mine are even worse because they are the ones wrecking my country.)

I thought American Idiot was a step back, I heard a lot in it that sounded to me as though they were trying to fit a stereotype, not just the lyrics, but the music, how they played it and then the lyrics on top of that.. it sounded to me like they were trying to play a part..
The new album I can respect them for because it was something new, I don't like it, but of course they don't need to play 3 power chords for the rest of their lives..

Also, I am stilll a bit bitter towards them because, upon the release of American Idiot, there was an obsession with them from a certain demographic of people my age.. ;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^EB if GD is claiming to be a "Punk Rock Band" then an album like AI is exactly what they wanted to record. It is not a step back but being true to their roots, that is how I look at it. Although I have always said that compared to the late 70's punk rock bands they are rather tame. AI was the right album at the right time by the right band, I think that is why it was so successful as well.

Reaction score
^^EB if GD is claiming to be a "Punk Rock Band" then an album like AI is exactly what they wanted to record. It is not a step back but being true to their roots, that is how I look at it. Although I have always said that compared to the late 70's punk rock bands they are rather tame. AI was the right album at the right time by the right band, I think that is why it was so successful as well.

I think we might have to agree to disagree on this one, LG, I think that they tried to imitate the 70s punk bands, and it just wasn't them.. They had something completely their own, and they ditched it, to me, it was like "I'll put on eye liner and be a different person".. The new album at least sounds unique, not like a poor cover band IMO:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.