Joe Lynn TURNER Classics Poll #1 [Difficult to Cure]

Which are your 5 most favourite songs from "Difficult to Cure"?

• I Surrender

• Spotlight Kid

• No Release

• Magic

• Can't Happen Here

• Freedom Fighter

• Midtown Tunnel Vision

• Jealous Lover (single B-side)

Results are only viewable after voting.

mrblond

Reaction score
Joe-Lynn-Turner-02-.jpg
Joe Lynn TURNER Classics Examination

A world wide famous vocalist during the 80's, Joe Lynn Turner took part in five albums by TOP Hard Rock Acts of those years being a lead vocalist for Rainbow, Yngwie Malmsteen and Deep Purple.
Although somehow overlooked lately, these albums marked the eighties-generation.

We are going to scan all the five classic albums:

Difficult to Cure (1981) (current poll)
• Straight Between the Eyes (1982)
• Bent Out of Shape (1983)
• Odyssey (1988)
• Slaves and Masters (1990)

Poll #1: Rainbow - Difficult to Cure (1981)

Please, choose up to 5 most favourite songs.

Note: Since this is a lead singer thread, the instrumentals are removed.

Rainbow-01-.jpg

E-Z

Reaction score
I have been re-listening to this album for several days this week and to be honest I would go as far as to say this album was Rainbow's best although the next album Straight Between The Eyes is virtually equal.

I'm not voting because EVERY song on this album is great. I must say I do have a liking for the few lesser known or played songs such as No Release, Freedon Fighter & Midtown Tunnel Vision plus Spotlight Kid is a GREAT set opener!. The bands version of Beethoven's ninth is MAGNICENT and deserves to be heard by a wider public.

I saw this Rainbow line up on the Difficult To Cure tour when the band played the Rainbow (formerly the Finsbury Park Astoria) in north London back in June 1981.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Jealous Lover (a B side EP single??) is so good it ridiculous that is was relegated to the B side of the I Surrender & Can't Happen Here EP. From memory Ritchie and the rest of the band recorded that track while 'on the road' in some community hall I believe in the USA?.

Last edited:

mrblond

Reaction score
I'm not voting because EVERY song on this album is great. I must say I do have a liking for the few lesser known or played songs such as No Release, Freedon Fighter & Midtown Tunnel Vision plus Spotlight Kid is a GREAT set opener!.

You can vote for 5 songs in this poll.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
You can vote for 5 songs in this poll.
Ok mrblond I shall go for-

1. I Surrender
2. Spotlight Kid
3. No Release
4. Midtown Tunnel Vision
5. Jealous Lover

6. Freedom Fighter is possibly a 'filler track' but it's still a good song.

But as previously posted every track on the whole album is a great track.

Last edited:

mrblond

Reaction score
Nicely done, E-Z!

I wonder, how is that, this forum is called Classic Rock Forum and there are few who knows Rainbow or who cares about Rainbow...

Reactions: E-Z

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
I care about Dio era Rainbow one of my favorite 70s groups ... the rest of their releases are blah to me other than a few songs , JLT is my least favorite singer ever in Rainbow , or Deep Purple ( cringe ) ...
so maybe ppl just don’t like JLT not Rainbow per say

E-Z

Reaction score
JLT was excellent in Rainbow but not for the 1990-1991 version of DP. I thought those 'classic' DP songs such as Highway Star, Lazy and even Smoke On The Water sounded a bit 'dated' by the early 1990s and with JLT singing them didn't help.

Ronnie Dio was ok for the first three studio albums but Ritchie had to broaden the bands appeal especially in the USA so was forced to go in a more commercial direction and drop Ronnie. The Down To Earth album with Graham Bonnet is a good album I like it. Rainbow never broke big in the USA but maintained a large following in Europe & Japan.

I read that Ritchie asked Ronnie to write a 'love song' where upon Ronnie said goodbye and quit!. I also read that Ronnie never spoke to Ritchie ever again but I don't know if that is true or not.

Last edited:

E-Z

Reaction score
Nicely done, E-Z!

I wonder, how is that, this forum is called Classic Rock Forum and there are few who knows Rainbow or who cares about Rainbow...
The funny thing is mrblond the three Rainbow studio albums from 1981-83 with JLT singing on them are by and large 'classy' straight ahead heavy rock albums that in my humble opinion still stand up today 40 years later.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online