JJ Cale

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Born in Oklahoma City 5-12-1938 John Weldon Cale. To my mind one of the most laid back characters in the business. He takes his sound from various musical genre's including blues, jazz, swamp rock and country. A brilliant writer IMO his songs have been covered by artists such as Eric Clapton, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kansas, Santana and Tom Petty. His debut album "Naturally" was released in 1971 and what a pearl.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
He is totally unique in my experience, I love listening to his music to unwind and mellow out, it's perfect for that. I didn't start with Natually though, I came to the JJ party a lot later "5" is the first album I bought.

Eric Clapton is a big fan of his, they have collaborated/toured together more than once over the years.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^ Travel Log was my first album a much later work .. but I really got into his sound and have sort of back tracked. I love that easy style when the mood takes me.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Same here Sox, I have 3 or 4 of his albums now, I'll have to check. I remember trying to get Magic interested in his music, but she didn't like him at all if I remember right...:heheh:

I am going to play "Okie" in a few minutes, as you said great for when you are relaxed.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
He seems to be a very private sort of individual but he has influenced so may top notch musicians.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
He is happy doing what he likes on his own terms, and I respect that.

Cajun Moon.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I don't know an awful lot by him but I like the one you posted Sox, and here's another one I know:

It reminds me so much of Mark Knopfler :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I was thinking the same thing Sox, two fantastic guitarists/songwriters.:tup:

Reaction score
Tom Petty and Lynyrd Skynyrd were also greatly influenced by JJ Cale..

Tom%20Petty.jpg
vanzant2.jpg

I like his songs and the feel that his music has, but I have trouble liking his music.. it could be that his music doesn't transfer well to the digital world, so I'll pick up an album next time I go. The laid back, but jumpy feel is very fun. Reminds me of The Eagles, even Devo is reminiscent of JJC, I don't think a lot of people realize the influence that he has/had:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online

No members online now.