Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock 1969

Patrick

Reaction score
Re: Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock

Yeah I loved Jimi's performance at Woodstock. The only thing missing for me was Machine Gun, one of my favourite songs heard live - 10 to 20 minutes of shear guitar-heaven..

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

Have you guys read the latest on Jimi's alleged murder by his manager??! There's a thread on this topic here on the forums :)

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

Woodstock was allright, but I think Montery was a far tighter performance. The band he played with at woodstock was not the Experience, but a thrown together group that was kind of a transition between the experience and the Band of Gypsys.

Someone else mentioned it, and I'll second it, the Live at Winterland was a great live performance.

TheGreekRockerGuy

True Rocker
Reaction score

It was actually a great perfomance.
But,it's JIMI HENDRIX.
If the performance wasn't good,it would be strange.
People in Woodstock went crazy when he played purple haze
So yeah,it was a good performance :)

JXMBrennan

Reaction score

Check this out, you can hear Jimi's performances from Woodstock, pretty awesome!

Celebrate the 40th anniversary of Woodstock with SIRIUS XM’s The Woodstock Channel. Hear legendary performances from the original 1969 festival and memories from the artists who were there. This special limited engagement channel will feature music from artists in the exact order that they performed at the festival each day – beginning with Richie Havens and ending with Jimi Hendrix – and it’s all commercial-free! The Woodstock Channel starts Friday, August 14 at 12 noon ET and goes all weekend long on SIRIUS channel 16, XM channel 40, online, and on the SIRIUS XM iPhone app. For more information and to get a Free Online Trial, visit http://www.sirius.com/deeptracks.

Attachments

• WoodstockSXM-468x60.jpg
    WoodstockSXM-468x60.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 41

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score

Hendrix and The Who were the highlight along with Santana (who was an unsigned band at the time). I think the show was sub-par for the most part. I've never seen Mountain's performance. Janis Joploin was supposedly so bad (drunk and stoned) she was omitted from the album. Consider this: An estimated 400,000 people attended but only about 30,000 were around for Hendrix.

I recently read a big article on Woodstock in GUITAR WORLD. Most of the acts bitched about the whole ordeal. Pete Townshend said it was so unorganized and run by children. John Fogerty refused to have CCR's set included on the live album due to sound and technical problems. He complained about going on after The Greatful Dead at 2:00 a.m. saying The Dead put everyone to sleep.

One of my favorite incidents is when Abby Hoffman wandered on to the stage during The Who's set tripping on acid and going into a political rant. Townshend hit him with his guitar and pushed him off the stage to a cheering crowd. He then went on to say "the next ******* person who walks on my stage is going to be ******* killed" (peace and love my ass!!! :heheh:).

Kino

#1 Styx Fan
Reaction score

Oh god where do you begin with Hendrix's performance. It was incredible.

Emrock

Reaction score

By the time Jimi took the stage Monday morning, he'd been up for three days. The band had been rehearsing at Hendrix's rented house not far from the festival site. They didn't have enough material to do a full hour set which is why Hendrix jammed (not too effectively I might add) after Purple Haze to stretch the set. He segued into Villanova Junction (my personal favorite Hendrix instrumental) and finished with Hey Joe.

For all you musicians out there, Listen carefully to hear Jimi break his high E about half way through Red House. He never misses a beat. That is the sign of a virtuoso.

www.TheWoodstockConspiracy.com
www.ClassicRockEsoterica.com

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

"Hendrix had a new band called Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, featuring Mitchell, bass player Billy Cox (an old Army buddy), rhythm guitarist Larry Lee and percussionists Juma Sultan and Jerry Velez." I have a copy from the board tapes and you hear a whole lot more of the full group. I think Jimi sounded kind of sad, which made for perfect blues.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32175232/ns/entertainment-music/

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.