Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

Rocker440

Reaction score
Re: Jethro Tull

Found the details: Jethro Tull - The Ultimate Set

You realise I've got to find a copy of The Ultimate Set for myself now :wa :mad

:oyea: Wow, Jeffrey you sure are spot on! :grinthumb I think it's fair to say that shortly you'll truly have the Ultimate Jethro Tull collection! :bow:

Back from the pub:oyea: Some picture discs.

I very much like and dig those JT picture disks! :) Broadsword and The Beast is an excellent album and I have quite a few favorites on that one! Rock Island is terrific! I have many fond memories of that album and tour! :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I love those Picture Discs Jeffrey, especially Broadsword & The Beast.:tup:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

Rock Island is terrific! I have many fond memories of that album and tour! :cheers2
Some Tull fans don't rate Rock Island that much but I reckon it's a great album - up with the best. The tour, at least here in the UK, was fantastic and I've got some great memories of it. It was a superb line-up imo and, with Maartin Allcock in the band, had one of the all time great multi-instrumentalists. Although he had to learn to play the keyboards when he joined Tull, his playing was not over the top and fitted the music perfectly. It was a sad day when he left Tull and, one has to say, it was a sad day when he left Fairport as well as the musicianship and "energy" he gave them has not been repeated with the subsequent line-up imo.

Rocker440

Reaction score

Sure did :) Just seemed appropriate at the time :oyea:

Here, I thought JT named that song after you! :D

Some Tull fans don't rate Rock Island that much but I reckon it's a great album - up with the best. The tour, at least here in the UK, was fantastic and I've got some great memories of it. It was a superb line-up imo and, with Maartin Allcock in the band, had one of the all time great multi-instrumentalists. Although he had to learn to play the keyboards when he joined Tull, his playing was not over the top and fitted the music perfectly. It was a sad day when he left Tull and, one has to say, it was a sad day when he left Fairport as well as the musicianship and "energy" he gave them has not been repeated with the subsequent line-up imo.

Perhaps some fans might not, but I would and do disagree. :tongue: There are many excellent songs on Rock Island, and with different, cool styles. Although there were a song or two with some (mostly at that time) current topics of particular subjects, the songs were done with tact and taste. I very much liked the chemistry of the band, which was much more evident, and appreciated within their live show! The show that I attended was fantastic, and with seats pretty close to the front of the stage! Now that I think about that, those seats were the closest (about 20 rows close) that I've been to the front of the stage at all concerts that I've been to and enjoyed! The eardrums might not do to well for a few days afterwards, but that's cool! :cheers2

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

Perhaps some fans might not, but I would and do disagree. :tongue: There are many excellent songs on Rock Island, and with different, cool styles. Although there were a song or two with some (mostly at that time) current topics of particular subjects, the songs were done with tact and taste. I very much liked the chemistry of the band, which was much more evident, and appreciated within their live show! The show that I attended was fantastic, and with seats pretty close to the front of the stage! Now that I think about that, those seats were the closest (about 20 rows close) that I've been to the front of the stage at all concerts that I've been to and enjoyed! The eardrums might not do to well for a few days afterwards, but that's cool! :cheers2

100% agree with you. An excellent tour and album.
ritour.jpg ripass.jpg

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I went along with Sweaty to see Tull on the Rock Island tour at the N.E.C. They were on cracking form, Ian did the acoustic intro to "My God" and then the band ripped it up, we were blown away ... with the whole gig.

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

I got this DVD a few years ago and can strongly recommend it.

Ditto here. Other legit video/dvd offerings are now quite plentiful after years of very few. These include

51sR1W6oJbL._SL500_.jpg
jethro_tull_20091006.jpg

51M9zPHLH8L._SL500_.jpg

Jethro-Tull-Madison-Square-Ga-482163.jpg

A very interesting video is the TV broadcast from 1987 called "Fish 'n' Sheep 'n' Rock 'n' Roll". It's on youtube if anyone is interested and contains footage of the Milton Keynes Bowl gig from '86 + Ian Anderson's fishing and farming interests from that time. It was originally broadcast on UK tv and is an overlooked piece from Tull's history imo.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArturoThre

Staff online

Members online