Jethro Tull (Official Thread)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Band I've wanted to listen to for a long time, but never knew where to start.

Any suggestions?
I would suggest getting a couple of the early compilation albums first. MU and the followup compilation Repeat would be good place to start I think.

If you like UK blues then This Was is a must if only to hear what they originally played. Benefit and Thick As A Brick are "must haves" and the folk rock period can be captured on Heavy Horses and Songs From The Wood.

Later releases would have to include Crest of A Knave and Broadsword And The Beast. Get Roots To Branches to hear the later Indian influence in Ian Anderson's compositions.

And finally, if you like prog rock then A Passion Play is a must.

Have fun :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'd forgotten about MU Volume One Sir Jeffrey, that was my first JT album as a kid...and a fabulous compilation all 'round.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I was in London Drugs before Christmas and saw the special vinyl edition of TABB 1 & 2 in a boxset for about $90.00

I did pick it up and look at it, beautifully done and both records are HQ 180 gram vinyl but the price is really high. If it was $50 or even $60 I might have picked it up.

1000x1000.jpg

I still might get it eventually, new JT albums are rare only Aqualung has been reissued on new vinyl.

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
I love Tull and have just obtained passion play(borrowed from neighbour actually)Ive heard bad reports but ill give it a go-My favs are aqualung and thick as a brick

2LITTLETIME

Reaction score
Songs from the Wood (1977)
A (1980)
Under Wraps (1984)
Catfish Rising (1991)
Roots to Branches (1995)
J-Tull Dot Com (1999)
The Jethro Tull Christmas Album (2003)
Ive all of his studio discography except the above
Im going to avoid A.
Im not a lover of This was to be honest-ive only heard it twice mind

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
Songs from the Wood is one of my fav's. This Was is a very interesting record. You can hear them getting to their own sound. Stand Up takes them a step closer to the classic JT sound. Benefit you should listen to. And furthermore Aqualung, Heavy Horses and Thick as a Brick.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I get like that with a few bands, it pains me when they release so many different versions. I get annoyed when they release better versions because it costs me a fortune, like the stereo version of This Was, which actually cost me a fiver:) but they could have released it before instead of money making:(
Stereo version of This Was? What is the difference from the one we all know?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I just picked up "This Was" at my vinyl flea market last weekend, haven't listened to it yet but it is the stereo version.

2LITTLETIME, I highly recommend SFTW, it's my favorite Tull album of the lot.:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyalDonah

Members online