Jeff Beck versus Ritchie Blackmore versus Peter Townshend!

Which guitarist do you like the best?

• Total voters

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page were in better bands that put out better music, that's why.

But the poll question isn't which of these three guitarists was in bands that put out the best music. It was which of these three guitarists do you like the best.

Jeff's guitar work comes off very well in comparison when any of these fellows share the same stage though.

:drums:

I'm aware of the question and that's what I responded to. I just think that being able to being in a band should also count when comparing guitarists. If Beck was never able to hold a band together for much more than an album and a tour - and sometimes not even that.... well, that counts against Beck too, imo.

Being able to attract more than a cult following should also count.

And I really haven't heard or seen him do anything new since the 70's - please put me up to speed here if you can, videos, links etc. He was very much into the 80's sound in the 80's to the point where it damaged his output, imho. I do like Jeff's Guitar Shop but... that really wasn't all that revolutionary. It was just a good album, period.

What did he do in the 90's? The 00's?

Anyhoo, as I said - I prefer Blackmore with Townshend a close 2nd. And as I said, I do like Beck but he's a tad overrated in my book when it comes to his 80's-00's output. Blackmore would be the most consistent of the three of them.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Which of these guitarists do you like the best?

Jeff Beck

Ritchie Blackmore

Peter Townshend
Going back to the question in the first post....

I think that Beck is the most talented
I think that Townshend is the most popular

But the guy that gives me the most enjoyment is Blackmore and he gets my vote.

Rocker440

Reaction score
I very much like all three of these guitarists! :)

I voted for Ritchie Blackmore! :tup:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Flipflop:

Anyhoo, as I said - I prefer Blackmore with Townshend a close 2nd.

And I certainly have no problem with you preferring Blackmore and Townshend to Beck. All three are great guitarists. That's why I matched them against each other.

And I really haven't heard or seen him(Beck) do anything new since the 70's - please put me up to speed here if you can, videos, links etc. He was very much into the 80's sound in the 80's to the point where it damaged his output, imho. I do like Jeff's Guitar Shop but... that really wasn't all that revolutionary. It was just a good album, period.

I do like Beck but he's a tad overrated in my book when it comes to his 80's-00's output.... What did he do in the 90's? The 00's?

It's your contention that he hasn't done too much that's worthwhile since the seventies with which I disagree. Here is a list of his studio album releases since then and their peak position on the U.S. Billboard charts:

1980 There and Back #21

1985 Flash #42 Grammy award winner.

1989 Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop #49 Grammy award winner.

1992 Frankie's House

1993 Crazy Legs

1999 Who Else! #99

2001 You Had It Coming #110

2003 Jeff Grammy award winner.

2010 Emotion & Commotion

Nine albums and three Grammy awards in the last thirty years means he hasn't exactly been resting on his laurels.

But his recorded work is just half the picture. He keeps himself busy with constant touring. He's appeared in Toronto a minimum of five times in the last fifteen years, and I've never heard any ticket buyer express disappointment with his shows.

Contrast Jeff's level of activity to that of many other rock stars, even much younger ones - Axl Rose and Guns 'n Roses for example.

:guitar:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.