Jeff Beck versus Ritchie Blackmore versus Peter Townshend!

Which guitarist do you like the best?

• Total voters

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I met someone on the net one time which I recall really liked "Jeff's Boogie" which is on the Yardbirds Roger The Engineer Album and I think it's a B-Side Track to "Over, Under, Sideways, Down", I reckon it's a ripper too and the sort of song you could dance to! :D Personally having heard Claptons Guitar on Five Live Yardbirds and Jeff Becks on those same tracks they did live during the BBC Sessions, Beck is up there with Clapton! :D

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
...but not as amazing as Jimmy Page, who's better than all three of these guys.

Too bad he hasn't put out any new material in 15 years. How long is he going to rest on his laurels rehashing Zep tunes?

Anyway...

Blackmore and Beck are my two favorite guitarists. Pete Townshend is right up there for me too. He’s undoubtedly the best songwriter of the three. Beck is just so experimental and quirky and can pull off any style (and fuse any styles - 1999’s Who Else comes to mind. Techno/Blues for cryin’ out loud!!!) But Blackmore gets my vote obviously. To me he is (was) the ultimate rock player. He's got the technical virtuosity of a classical player, the feel of a blues player and the improvisation of a jazz player. All thrown into a heavy rock style. (DP’s early instrumental Wring That Neck is a prime example of this). And you've got to love his whole bad attitude personna.
(Please Candice, give Ritchie his balls back).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Hey finally someone else in my Blackmore life raft, for a while there I thought I was on my own forever.

Reaction score
C'mon man. A budding young guitarist who isn't into Beck??? I have five words that may convert you...

Head For A Backstage Pass. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIDRPOwlrx4
I've heard it before, I don't know why I don't like Beck, I wish I did like him lol, there's just something about his playing, everything from yardbirds to his newest solo stuff I can't like, usually stuff like that will grow on me, but it just does nothing for me

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
eberg15101 wrote:

I've heard it before, I don't know why I don't like Beck, I wish I did like him lol, there's just something about his playing, everything from yardbirds to his newest solo stuff I can't like, usually stuff like that will grow on me, but it just does nothing for me

When I listen to Jeff Beck on The Yardbirds Album "Roger the Engineer" I get the feeling he's down at a pub somewhere doing his guitar riffs and then they bring it back for editing and the band has to follow what Jeff is doing - so perhaps Beck is casted as an outsider (in the sense he would go away and do his bits) and yet The Yardbirds was all about the Guitar player! I wasn't terribly impressed with the Number ("My Blind Life") he was featured on the "Birdland" album which the Yardbirds brought out a few years ago now - where's the rest of the album was great.

Even if all of that was true I still highly regard Jeff Beck cause of the music I've heard him featured on in the BBC Sessions album with The Yardbirds cause he could sound a bit like Clapton, though he has another style about him as well.

ZSnowAngel

Zeppelin Fanatic
Reaction score
That was a very, very cruel poll.

I chose Pete... but Beck was tempting...

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Telecat:

Too bad he(Jimmy Page) hasn't put out any new material in 15 years. How long is he going to rest on his laurels rehashing Zep tunes?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting if I were you. I'd say Jimmy's gotten quite comfortable there.

Beck is just so experimental and quirky and can pull off any style (and fuse any styles - 1999’s Who Else comes to mind. Techno/Blues for cryin’ out loud!!!)

Indeed! The words "Jeff Beck" and "experimental" go hand in hand.

Incidentally, Jeff and Eric Clapton will be together in concert at the Air Canada Center in Toronto in February. They'll be performing separately before getting together for a joint finale.

:rock:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Jeff Beck really doesn't do anything much for me and Ritchie is much more skilled than Pete Townshend.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online