J. Geils Band (Official Thread)

rtbuck

Reaction score
J Geils Band

“Dancing on the Ceiling & Dancing on the Floor…” followed by a chorus of “It Ain’t Nothing but a Party, Ain’t Nothing but a Party…Ain’t Nothing but a House Party” rang out through my speakers during a radio commercial for Callahan’s Bar & Nite Club every weekend on QFM-97.9 in the late 70’s, Not only did I want to go to this wild party bar (Unfortunately I had to wait a year until I turned 18) but I also wanted to know who did that jamming tune on the commercial. I found out it was by the J. Geils Band (actually originally done by the Showstoppers) & went out & bought their Best of record. That Best of ,which came out in the late 70’s, is one hell of a Party album. When I turned 18 in 1980 my sister (who was 13 years older than me) would invite me to her toga parties at her apartment & that same J Geils album was always cranked up at her parties. The album is filled with songs that’ll keep you moving & grooving. Songs such as the rocking “Detroit Breakdown” & “Southside Shuffle” will have your arms flailing & your feet shuffling. The instrumental house rocker featuring Magic Dick blowing some of the meanest harp “Whammer Jammer” will have you howling at the moon. The rocking reggae beat of “Give it to Me” will have you rolling your arms & bopping your head & then just when you thought it was safe… the hard rocking “(Ain’t Nothing but a) Houseparty “is right there to Blow your face out! You can’t forget a couple of oldies to keep things rolling, that the band covers: The Do-Wop “I Do”, “Looking for a Love”, & the cool version of the Supremes “Where Did Our Love Go?”. “I Musta Got Lost” will have you holding on tight to that special person which you made a connection with. Yes, that is what the J.Geils Band featuring wild lead vocalist Peter Wolfe & lead guitarist J. Geils is all about.

The J. Geils Band began in 1967 when J Geils, Magic Dick, & Danny Klein decided to change the direction of their acoustic blues trio & become more of an electric blues band. They added vocalist Peter Wolfe who was a local DJ at the time & drummer Stephen Jo Bladd. The band played gigs around the Boston, MA area as the J. Geils Blues Band. After about a year they dropped “Blues” from the band name & also added Keyboardist Seth Justman to their line-up. The band was signed to Atlantic records in 1970 & over the next seven years charted several hit singles most of which are included on that 1979 ‘Best of’ album. “(Ain’t Nothing but a) Houseparty” (which was actually a cover song originally recorded by the Showstoppers) was probably their biggest & most popular single of the 70’s.

In 1978 the band signed with EMI & released ‘Sanctuary’ fared pretty well on the charts. I’ll always remember their appearance on SNL around ’79 as they played the title track “Sanctuary” which rocked the house. 1980 brought us ‘Love Stinks’ which the humorous title track & accompanying humorous video brought the beginnings of commercial success to the band & the album charted 3 other singles including “Come Back” which was a hit in the dance clubs across the nation. My favorite track off of ‘Love Stinks’ is the ultra cool “Till the Walls Come Tumblin’ Down” which will have you snapping your fingers & yelling out “Oooooh Yeahhhh!”.

Still riding high off the heels of ‘Love Stinks’ the J Geils Band released the very commercial ‘Freeze Frame’ in October of 1981 which charted their all-time biggest hit “Centerfold” along with once again 3 more hit singles. The commercially successful ‘Freeze Frame’ came out at the perfect time as 2 months prior MTV launched & videos for the title track & “Centerfold” (along with the “Love Stinks video) were in regular rotation spots(it seemed like you’d be guaranteed to see one of these videos at least once an hour). Videos for “Angel in Blue” & “Flamethrower” also received moderate airplay on the new video hits channel. My favorite song off of the album was “Piss on the Wall” & I also liked the harmonica in “Rage in the Cage”. By 1983 creative differences among Peter Wolf & the band caused Wolf to leave. He had moderate success with his hit single “Lights Out” in 1984 & has released some decent solo albums over the years. Wolf’s 1996 ‘Long Line’ is worth checking out as is 2002’s ‘Sleepless’ which features a cool Keith Richards lending a solo on the blues rocker “Too Close Together” & a duet featuring Wolfe & Mick Jagger on “Nothing but the Wheel”. The J. Geils Band released one album without Wolfe ‘You’re Getting Even While I’m Getting Odd’. The band called it a day soon after but in 1999 they reunited with Wolfe for a small tour & they also performed a couple of dates this past year.

The one thing I have to say is the J. Geils Band is one band that has to be seen live. I caught them in ’82 while the band was supporting their ‘Freeze Frame’ album & they were spectacular putting on one hell of a party. Wolfe is amazing with his fast talking stories live which always leads into their next tune. Check out the intros to “Love Stinks” from the bands live ‘Showtime’ album & “I Musta Got Lost” from the Live “Blow Your Face Out” & you will hear what I mean about Wolfe’s stories. In fact check out any of the 3 live albums (Full House Live, Blow Your Face Out, & Showtime) & you will get yourself some Houserocking Rock & Roll. Of the 3, I would recommend 1976’s ‘Blow Your Face Out’ but you definitely won’t go wrong with ‘Full House Live’.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtbuck

Reaction score
Re: the J. Geils Band

I couldn't find any decent vids of the old classics like Houseparty, Detroit Breakdown, Musta Got Lost, Give it to me, Southside Shuffle...etc :(

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

They're probably on Grooveshark Bucky, I'm sure Magic will find some of them.

Here's my favorite album.

Followed by Love Stinks and then Freeze Frame, my brother had Bloodshot on vinyl but I never got into it for some reason.:think:

Reaction score

I love all the sounds of this band, and the progression of them from the start, its not even just like one of those bands that had to change to try and get album sales, they just progressed

I was going to post a song or two from most albums, but they are hard to find.....very hard to find

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Another truly superlative review by Bucky!

:grinthumb

What more can I say - other than the J. Geils Band deserves a place in rock history just for the single "Centerfold" and the accompanying video? And I love bands that feature harp players!

:snow:

Rocker440

Reaction score

"Bloodshot" is my favorite J. Geils album.

J._Geils_Band_-_Bloodshot.jpg

As rt stated, many of those songs from "Bloodshot" are long time faves and classics! There are quite a lot of songs that I enjoy of this exceptional band. I also think this band was even more impressive when performing live.

Give it to me - from Bloodshot

Another album that I enjoy.
J._Geils_Band_-_Nightmares.jpg

Nightmares/Wild Man (Live)

Perhaps not as acclaimed or with big hits as some of their other albums, but still great, imho! :tup:

Originally a two album set "Blow Your Face Out" has many of the J Geils best songs (pre Love Stinks/Freeze Frame) that really showcase just how good, dynamic and enthusiastic they were live.
J._Geils_Band_-_Blow_Your_Face_Out.jpg

I'll have to come back to this thread when I can post some videos from those releases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

Great band, and in my case, one of the best "local" bands out of Boston. I only wish I was old enough to have seen them live in their heyday. I was 10 years old and just discovering rock and roll at the time Freezeframe was popular.They were actually one of the first bands I was turned onto, long before even classic "gods" like Hendrix, the who, or any other big cr band other than maybe the Beatles and Stones.

They did tour as Bluestime for a bit in the early to mid 90's without Wolf.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Really great thread! I've liked J. Geils since Give It To Me and Bucky already took a song I could have posted that is "Centerfold".

That song still reminds me of my first love/crush whatever in high school... Anna.

I had stated at the time that I liked the song when it was on the radio. That following Valentines day I was given a big "Snoopy" valentines Day card with about 25 seperate hand written messages from her in it along with a 45 of J. Geil's Centerfold. The label on the disc was pink so it matched the whole occasion.

I wonder what she is doing now...I kind of messed that up wayyyy back in the old days as I thought I liked someone else better. FAIL! Major.

Looking back Anna was much much nicer of a person and I hope she is well after all these years.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

One of their most underrated albums "Love Stinks", my second favorite of their discography.

The title song.

TheJGeilsBand-LoveStinks-Front.jpg

TheJGeilsBand-LoveStinks-Back.jpg

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online

No members online now.