I've Come to Bury The Monkees, NOT to Praise Them!

Reaction score
Zombeels said:
I really like the Monkees. Yes we know they were a fabricated band made of 2 actors (Jones & Dolenz) and 2 muscicians (Nesmith & Tork). I could do without the personna of Davy Jones but then again I never was a 12 year old girl. I really liked the voices of Dolenz and Nesmith and Mickey got pretty good at the drums (thanks Barbata). I like how they even poked fun at themselves in the Movie "Head". They had some really catchy pop songs and even experimented a little into the psych-rock. Some of Nesmith's material could also be recognised as starting the country-rock genre.
Well I WAS a 12 year old girl , once :lol: But I didn't actually like Davy Jones... Mike made me drool :D !...Seriously i agree with your post. My favorite songs ? Valerie, Stepping Stone, and She

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I think one of the real stroke of genius things is when they ended the show with the little 'job interview' segments. You know, Nes with his laundry bag, all that stuff.

In no time at all it took those four guys and made them stand out.

I too enjoy singing in the style of Davey Jones and have a pair of maracas and a Nehru jacket for JUST such an occassion!

Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
I think one of the real stroke of genius things is when they ended the show with the little 'job interview' segments. You know, Nes with his laundry bag, all that stuff.

In no time at all it took those four guys and made them stand out.

I too enjoy singing in the style of Davey Jones and have a pair of maracas and a Nehru jacket for JUST such an occassion!
Omg !!! I FORGOT about the Maracas !!! I guess that made Davy a Legit' Musician ? :D

Jack D.

Reaction score
As a child I remember one time my older brother and I were watching "The Monkees" and my father made a comment about the obvious lack of talent of the the group and that they nothing more than no talent bums. My brothers reply was "Yeh but they are rich no talent bums." They came from a time when TV was silly. Their competition was shows like Batman, Bewitched, The Addams family, Gomer Pyle. They were fun to watch though. Compared to the majority of what is on TV now I wish someone would bring back something like that.
Michael Nesmith did a song after they group broke up called "Joanne" that was a really great song.

Wolf

Reaction score
Mickey Dolenz got good enough on drums that Frank Zappa asked him to play in his band but refused because of prior committments. Saw them a few years ago and Davey played some piano and guitar, Peter played multiple instruments and Mickey's voice sounded as good as ever, great on the drums and I think played a little guitar too. I think they were sending a message.

Reaction score
Jack D. said:
As a child I remember one time my older brother and I were watching "The Monkees" and my father made a comment about the obvious lack of talent of the the group and that they nothing more than no talent bums. My brothers reply was "Yeh but they are rich no talent bums." They came from a time when TV was silly. Their competition was shows like Batman, Bewitched, The Addams family, Gomer Pyle. They were fun to watch though. Compared to the majority of what is on TV now I wish someone would bring back something like that.
Michael Nesmith did a song after they group broke up called "Joanne" that was a really great song.
Yep, Nesmith was the Lennon-type to me. I'm surprised I accepted them for so shamelessly RIPPINGOFF The Beatles ..cos I usually hate it when that happens ! But I agree in Tv there wasn't much to compete against. I really like how they made fun of themselves..maybe that I i was ok with their silliness?

Rock On!

Music Lover
Reaction score
I neither love nor hate them.

Their TV show was too silly for my taste, but I've got to admit that they had some very listenable songs. I've heard pop music that was noticeably worse.

I'd rate them about average for the pop bands of that time.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Don Kirschner produced the Monkees mostly; later on in the 70's he was famous for the Rock Concerts he put on TV....I got to say I like Last Train To Clarksdale with Mickey Dolenz singing...to me; thats their best song....liked some of the other songs but got bored with the TV show.

Rock On!

Music Lover
Reaction score
Drummer Chris said:
I got to say I like Last Train To Clarksdale with Mickey Dolenz singing

Not trying to nitpick, but that's "Clarksville". ;)

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Ha..right...I must have been thinking of Page and Plant's last album mixed into that song...thanx

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online