I've Come to Bury The Monkees, NOT to Praise Them!

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
Like a lot of folks my age, I REALLY took to the show a little after the fact, when they showed them on Saturday Mornings (you know, like 'Scooby Doo or something)

If my grandmother were still alive -- God rest her soul -- she'd be 102. And I don't remember her EVER watching the Monkees on Saturday morning. But maybe that's the difference between being 97 and 102. ;)

Spike

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
maybe I've worn that bit out?
NAH!!!

Spike said:
But I will admit to being puzzled about how their rep seems to have increased in recent years based upon nostalgia -- and perhaps irony -- that seemingly credits them for their authentic lack of authenticity.

this is VERY well put and I think I'm gonna plead guilty to this somewhat.
I think it's Rock and Roll's Mary Shelly story.
The Marketing people did their job well. The Monkees were very likable and did THEIR job well.
the adoring teeny boppers fell in line and did THEIR job well...
and the whole was more than the sum of the parts.

soon, guys who had sat around hoping to be picked were issuing ultimatums.
the record sales gradually dip and then they make a movie which basically tells all their fans that they are IDIOTS!!

god, I love it!!!

DocRock

Vinyl Overlord
Reaction score
...i enjoyed the show personally.... hey! it was a youth-oriented muisc-comedy show on tv when the only other thing you could get was **** Clark's output or some local/regional music show mimicing Clark.... they had some good pop tunes, Mickey did a decent job singing r'n'r/pop, davy was the face for the little girls, peter played the ringo role and mike actually could play and write...they had pro's writing for them (Neil Diamond/ Boyce & Hart/ Goffin & King/ Mann & Weil/ Neil Sedaka)...the best session guys in the biz recording the songs... Jack Nicholson writing the script for their movie(how HIP was THAT?!?!?...even if it was drug trip without ever leaving the farm)...and can you tell me "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" didn't ROCK? ...the comedy was corny, but was there anything else to measure it against on tv at the time?...now the Putrid Family is another question...oh...sorry....Partridge Family...a believable "band"? puh-leeeeeeze....THAT was a show designed for the Tiger Beat crowd... the Monkees show was a lift from "A Hard Day's Night"... the Puerile Family was an attempt to lift the Monkees but aimed strictly at the 13-14 year-olds.... so yeah... I liked it & hated it at times....but liked it enough to own the DVD set....;)

Last edited:

DocRock

Vinyl Overlord
Reaction score
...this system KILLS me...you can title a thread using a slang-word for intercourse, but I can't use RICHARD Clark's nickname.....ROFL

DocRock

Vinyl Overlord
Reaction score
....and just think...it COULD have been Davy, Mike, Mickey and....Stephen...as in Stills...didn't get the part because his teeth looked bad!

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
DocRock said:
...this system KILLS me...you can title a thread using a slang-word for intercourse, but I can't use RICHARD Clark's nickname.....ROFL
LOL You should enjoy the **** thread then. Martha started one in the Off Topics section. :D

Personally I find having **** Cheney censored in some way to be rather enjoyable. ;)

DocRock

Vinyl Overlord
Reaction score
Music Wench said:
LOL You should enjoy the **** thread then. Martha started one in the Off Topics section. :D

Personally I find having **** Cheney censored in some way to be rather enjoyable. ;)
--------------------------

ROTFLMAO....i agree! that's one **** that should be censored! :rolleyes:

chick draper

I've been En-eagled!
Reaction score
The Monkees hit the airwaves in, what, 1966? I was 8 years old. I have to admit I bought it hook, line and sinker. I was in! I think, up to that time, I was quite enamored of Pop music and it's Stars, but in the same way that I was obsessed with James Bond. It was simply a boyish fantasy in which the indulger, if forced to admit, could never hope to truly roam. Fun nonetheless.

Somehow, though, watching these fakesters on the TV every week seemed to enable me to think that I could do that.

Go figure!

I alternated between wanting to be Davy/Micky/Mike. Peter just seemed a doofus. I had all their albums. The fact that I knew the names of all the songwriters that Doc mentioned is fairly odd when you consider my age, especially when you factor in that I even knew Boyce and Hart were the principals and usually contributed the best ones.

My siblings and I had to attend a local day care in those days. It was my habit to take Monkees albums in and use them to serenade the cuter female denizens. I got my first real kiss as a result! I could do a pretty mean Davy and an even better Micky, if I do say so myself. ;)

Today I see them for what they were, without an ounce of revisionism. Many of those songs, however, hold up exceptionally well. I never been ashamed to admit I'm a Pop maven and brilliant Pop will always be brilliant Pop!

I wonder whatever happened to old Boyce and Hart?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online