Register to remove these ads

I've Come to Bury The Monkees, NOT to Praise Them!

Discussion in 'Rock Lounge' started by Martha Washington, Nov 25, 2005.

1. Spike

Spike Rock & Soul Archaelogist

If my grandmother were still alive -- God rest her soul -- she'd be 102. And I don't remember her EVER watching the Monkees on Saturday morning. But maybe that's the difference between being 97 and 102. ;)

Spike

2. Martha Washington

Martha Washington eat it! it's GOOD for you

maybe I've worn that bit out?
    NAH!!!

this is VERY well put and I think I'm gonna plead guilty to this somewhat.
    I think it's Rock and Roll's Mary Shelly story.
    The Marketing people did their job well. The Monkees were very likable and did THEIR job well.
    the adoring teeny boppers fell in line and did THEIR job well...
    and the whole was more than the sum of the parts.

soon, guys who had sat around hoping to be picked were issuing ultimatums.
    the record sales gradually dip and then they make a movie which basically tells all their fans that they are IDIOTS!!

god, I love it!!!

3. Martha Washington

Martha Washington eat it! it's GOOD for you

I love Mickey Dolenz' description:
    "It's like Leonard Nimoy woke up and he really was a Vulcan"

4. DocRock

DocRock Vinyl Overlord

...i enjoyed the show personally.... hey! it was a youth-oriented muisc-comedy show on tv when the only other thing you could get was **** Clark's output or some local/regional music show mimicing Clark.... they had some good pop tunes, Mickey did a decent job singing r'n'r/pop, davy was the face for the little girls, peter played the ringo role and mike actually could play and write...they had pro's writing for them (Neil Diamond/ Boyce & Hart/ Goffin & King/ Mann & Weil/ Neil Sedaka)...the best session guys in the biz recording the songs... Jack Nicholson writing the script for their movie(how HIP was THAT?!?!?...even if it was drug trip without ever leaving the farm)...and can you tell me "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" didn't ROCK? ...the comedy was corny, but was there anything else to measure it against on tv at the time?...now the Putrid Family is another question...oh...sorry....Partridge Family...a believable "band"? puh-leeeeeeze....THAT was a show designed for the Tiger Beat crowd... the Monkees show was a lift from "A Hard Day's Night"... the Puerile Family was an attempt to lift the Monkees but aimed strictly at the 13-14 year-olds.... so yeah... I liked it & hated it at times....but liked it enough to own the DVD set....;)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  5. DocRock

DocRock Vinyl Overlord

...this system KILLS me...you can title a thread using a slang-word for intercourse, but I can't use RICHARD Clark's nickname.....ROFL

6. DocRock

DocRock Vinyl Overlord

....and just think...it COULD have been Davy, Mike, Mickey and....Stephen...as in Stills...didn't get the part because his teeth looked bad!

7. Music Wench

Music Wench Rock and Roll Grandma

LOL You should enjoy the **** thread then. Martha started one in the Off Topics section. :D

Personally I find having **** Cheney censored in some way to be rather enjoyable. ;)

8. DocRock

DocRock Vinyl Overlord

--------------------------

ROTFLMAO....i agree! that's one **** that should be censored! :rolleyes:

9. chick draper

chick draper I've been En-eagled!

The Monkees hit the airwaves in, what, 1966? I was 8 years old. I have to admit I bought it hook, line and sinker. I was in! I think, up to that time, I was quite enamored of Pop music and it's Stars, but in the same way that I was obsessed with James Bond. It was simply a boyish fantasy in which the indulger, if forced to admit, could never hope to truly roam. Fun nonetheless.

Somehow, though, watching these fakesters on the TV every week seemed to enable me to think that I could do that.

Go figure!

I alternated between wanting to be Davy/Micky/Mike. Peter just seemed a doofus. I had all their albums. The fact that I knew the names of all the songwriters that Doc mentioned is fairly odd when you consider my age, especially when you factor in that I even knew Boyce and Hart were the principals and usually contributed the best ones.

My siblings and I had to attend a local day care in those days. It was my habit to take Monkees albums in and use them to serenade the cuter female denizens. I got my first real kiss as a result! I could do a pretty mean Davy and an even better Micky, if I do say so myself. ;)

Today I see them for what they were, without an ounce of revisionism. Many of those songs, however, hold up exceptionally well. I never been ashamed to admit I'm a Pop maven and brilliant Pop will always be brilliant Pop!

I wonder whatever happened to old Boyce and Hart?

10. Spike

Spike Rock & Soul Archaelogist

I remember reading about Boyce taking his own life a few years back.

Spike