It's official...Van Halen is back!!!

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
When RUSH tours a new album they still play more than a couple from it. In fact they have sections of the show dedicated to such.

I think every band needs to have a few standard hits that get played everytime they're out, but the deep cuts need to be changed on a yearly basis.

Rush has been good with this system, and McCartney..I can name a few more but it's a Van Halen thread.

I would like to see them do the one biggie from every album...about 4-6 deep tunes..and 4 tunes at least from the new album. To me that's a well rounded show. :grinthumb

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I agree Metalpriest. I think the difference with Rush is that their fans are serious music fans rather than along for a one-off ride. Two differing audiences:

The following comparison is extremely generic and I mean no offence:

1. Average Rush concert goer: Followed them since 2112, still buys every album, probably plays a musical instrument or has in the past, has seen them live at least 5 - 6 times, understands the music circuit and regularly attends gigs and festivals.

2. Average Van Halen concert goer: Got the Best of Both Worlds CD on a whim from Walmart a few years ago whilst walking past the baked beans shelf and it caught their eye and that's all they own, remembers David Lee Roth's California Girls video from MTV and thought it might be cool to go to a gig, doesn't really know who Eddie Van Halen is, but wishes there were more keyboard songs in the set like Jump. Only other gig in last 30 years was their son's Thanksgiving Day concert and Duran Duran in 1985.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
:heheh: Maybe so...sounds about right, but one would like to think that at least half the audience are die hards of the first 6 albums you know?

:grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^MP...could you please wake me up when the new VH album is out...whenever that is.:gnite:

:D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^:D...I was all excited months ago Cosmic, now I am fatalistic about the whole thing.

I have enjoyed Coltrane's astute observations though, makes for a fun read.:grinthumb

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I do have a meaningful update from Van Halen News Desk (which is pretty much the Halen bible site and very reliable):

- 3rd Jan 2012: Full announcement of plans

- 10th Jan 2012: Single and video release

- 7th February 2012: Album release (NB: contrary to reports the LP will NOT be titled "The Future" (thank god for that....terrible name for it).

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online

No members online now.