It's official...Van Halen is back!!!

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
blabbermouth.net

It's Official: VAN HALEN To Hit The Road - Dec. 26, 2011
VAN HALEN has released a video trailer confirming that it will tour later in the year, with the first tickets set to go on sale on January 10. The two-minute clip (see below) — which was shot on November 14 at The Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood, California — apparently features visuals of the VAN HALEN bandmembers performing a brand new song (from the yet-to-be-released track's official video) set to the audio of several David Lee Roth-era VAN HALEN classics.

VAN HALEN's new record deal with Interscope was finalized last month and marks the first time the band has recorded away from Warner Bros. Records, which signed the group in 1977.

The new VAN HALEN album, its first with Roth since "1984" was released on the last day of 1983, will reportedly come out in 2012, possibly in February.

ALTER BRIDGE guitarist Mark Tremonti recently said in an interview that he had gotten an opportunity to hear new VAN HALEN music through his friendship with bassist Wolfgang Van Halen (guitarist Eddie Van Halen's son), saying it sounded like "vintage VAN HALEN."

Producer Ross Hogarth spoke with Ultimate-Guitar.com about the work he did on the project, saying, "The whole VAN HALEN record has been recorded and we're all excited. I'm really stoked about it, as it is the original band, Eddie and Alex with Wolf playing bass, and David Lee Roth singing, it's the killing side of VAN HALEN at the top of their game again with Diamond Dave, and the band on fire."

VAN HALEN reunited with Roth in 2007 for a successful year-long reunion tour — minus original bassist Michael Anthony, who now plays with ex-VAN HALEN singer Sammy Hagar in CHICKENFOOT.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I hate to be a nay sayer.... But I'm still skeptical this will ever fly..

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone's already sick of my posts on this topic (and I will shut up soon, honestly) but I can't see a false start holding it up this time round. The vid clip has had audio removed and is actually the video for the first single from the new album. Recording was finished months ago and it's only the advance press and a bit of turbulence over choice of record company that makes it seem like it's been delayed and delayed.

Also, given that recording only began in January 2011, why is everyone viewing this as some long drawn out affair? It takes a long time to properly record, mix, master and get a marketing campaign together for an album like this and they only signed with Interscope Records last month.

The tour I find less exciting; they only did it three years ago! Also, that's the element they really messed up, announcing then cancelling the Australian tour and not bothering to hose down the Grammy nomination appearance rumours. I have some sympathy with Sammy Hagar's comments that Halen don't really care about their fans.

The album will kill though...I have a feeling. Call me to question on this very forum if it doesn't!!

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hate to be a nay sayer.... But I'm still skeptical this will ever fly..

Agreed, with all the talk of them putting out an album and then not putting it out, it is hard to take them seriously.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I would love as new Van Halen album (with Mike though,as most people know) and I would think it would be good too.

But I will believe it when I see it and until it actually comes home I'm not....

Holding_Your_Breath_O8LQE7.gif

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Coltrane brought up a point.. If they tour will they play all the songs off the new album or just a couple and the rest previous Halen tunes.. I just wonder how that would go over with fans if they hyped up the album only to play a couple songs off it..
I'm sure fans would like to see the new Halen on stage again and the money spent on a show, but hmmmmmm. :think:

coltrane2

Musicologist
Reaction score
Tricky one. i can't remember who said it recently, it may have been Neil Schon, but the classic rock revival circuit really caters for the "greatest hits only" crowd and there were instances of boo-ing when the band played any new material as opposed to Don't Stop Believin, Faithfully et al.

If Halen have any sense the album will predate the tour by at least 4 -5 months to give the tunes time to sink in. Even then, still tricky, but I hate greatest hits tours.

Seeing bands like Metallica, Skid Row, Magnum or Extreme in the late 80's, the set list would be massively weighted towards the latest album (average 7 -8 tracks off the latest album) and that's as it should be, but it's a tougher call these days and ticket sales may suffer if you move too far away from that greatest hits thing.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online