It's A 70's Prog-Off!

Which of these two 70's proggy, rock bands do you like best?

• Styx

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Kansas

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Kansas - they were just better imo.
Styx had some really great albums in the 70's, but Kansas could do no wrong at that time as well.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
Yeah, the Christian lyrics are kind of controversial in the fact that they sound as if they're oppressing, or something lol. And the album just sounds more pop-oriented... Why? You didn't like it either... hopefully? :D

I can't stand that album. Not due to the lyrical content but because It's just so much middle of the road cheesy pop tripe. How does a band go from "Icarus Born on Wings of Steel" "March of the Atman" ect. to that boring, uninventive, unimaginative, slop.
I have no problem with Kerry's Christianity. Whatever, that's his personal belief. But, when it starts destoying Kansas' musical legacy ...I'm out.

I bought that album used in excellent condition for a dollar.
I got ripped off.

LaurieLoz

"Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day"
Reaction score
Definitely Kansas. They're quite unique in American prog, like a Stateside version of Yes and very true to the genre.
Styx for me are a very random AOR band.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I'm going to go with Kansas. Styx fell off later on more so than Kansas ever did. What I mean by that is that they started to suck lol.

I think that by the mid 80's, both bands pretty much sucked.

I have seen both bands in concert several times since the early 90's and both still put on great shows, but as for new material, meh to both.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online