Isis

Harkat

Reaction score
isis-band-logo.jpg

Isis (stylized as ISIS) was a Los Angeles, California-based band, founded in Boston, Massachusetts, with a career spanning from 1997 to 2010. They borrowed from and helped to evolve a sound pioneered by the likes of Neurosis and Godflesh, creating heavy music consisting of lengthy songs that focus on repetition and evolution of structure.

isis.jpg

Members:
~ Jeff Caxide – bass
~ Michael Gallagher – guitar
~ Aaron Harris – drums
~ Bryant Clifford Meyer – electronics, keyboards, guitar, vocals
~ Aaron Turner – guitar, vocals

ISIS is an interesting band. They don't belong in a specific genre and are commonly bunched in the post-metal and sludge metal genre's but can also be placed into doom, experimental, minimalist, drone, psychedelic, multiple variations of the previously mentioned as rock genre's.

Official Website
Isis (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In terms of categorisation, Isis have been described as post-rock, a genre which leans away from the traditional elements of choruses, verses, repetitive vocals, or fast riffs—what Turner calls "guitar theatrics."
However, post-rock has what is essentially a halcyon sound: one devoid of aggressive vocals and distorted guitars. Isis, however, have hardcore/sludge origins (especially in their pre-Celestial era) and hardcore-like vocals. Their music includes elements of hardcore, drone, sludge, indie, ambient music, and post-rock; yet none of these labels defines their sound fully. Critic Dan Epstein notes that "though [Isis were] originally lumped in with the hardcore and doom-metal scenes, the band has long since transcended the musical boundaries of those genres". However, their ongoing acceptance within the pantheon of hardcore music is attested to by Converge's Jacob Bannon, who has gone on record saying that "if I wanna listen to emotional music which I guess is contemporary [...] I'll listen to Isis or something like that - something that is emotional, powerful music."

Turner, when asked to define Isis, described their sound as "avant-garde, drone-oriented rock, but that doesn't completely cover the bases". At the same time, he is reticent about settling on one label exclusively, and steers away from the use of specific genre labels—"'heavy, atmospheric, droning, post-epic, post-metal, shoegazer blah blah blah.'" When asked how he reacts to being asked to define Isis' sound, he admits "I never know what to say. I'm almost afraid of perpetuating a new tag." Likewise, he also describes their music using a slightly more open-ended tag: as "thinking man's metal"; however, it must be noted that this tag refers to the intellectual elements behind the music, as opposed to exclusively aural ones.

Due to the difficulty in pigeonholing, some fans and critics label Isis as post-metal; a portmanteau of "post-rock" and "metal", the "post" referring to a reinvention of an established concept, as in post-modernism or post-hardcore. This genre is accepted to contain similar-sounding contemporaries such as Pelican, Cult of Luna and Callisto; however, Isis are usually credited with the formulation of the genre with the release of Oceanic.

The music of Isis is not suitable for mainstream release or commercial radio playtime due to extensive song length and niche appeal; as guitarist Michael Gallagher states, "we've never tried to be on the radio, and we've never tried to please others. We've simply done whatever we've wanted to do, and we've all decided to be happy with the results."

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
I will have to give these guys even more of a listen, because as of a few days ago, post-rock is my newest flame (sorry shoegaze) and Isis have many elements of the post-rock genre as well as metal and eclectic others! :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Shoegaze...:heheh: that always makes me laugh what a terrible moniker for a genre of music.(Not a fan either)

Isis on the other hand sounds interesting to me, I'll put them on my list when I get time.

Nice thread Harkat.:cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I try to stay current, but I do find the descriptive names for some new genres hilarious...it's like a good idea that has gotten way out of hand.:D

Trip Hop in another one that is funny and I don't like it either.:nw:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^Indeed the entire "Core" phenomenon is out of hand...hadn't heard of that one before though.:D

Harkat

Reaction score
'core' is out of control. I think a lot of bands add on '-core' to their music if it sounds slightly different to other bands.

I really do enjoy these guys though. I just zone out and enjoy.

joe

Reaction score
This band really captures my imagination. On the instumentation, these guys are very technically complex and intense. But it is the production and ambience that draws me in. Having only three albums; Oceanic, Panopticon, and Wavering Radiant I can't comment on the other music they've released. If one can get by the vocals, which is very limited, this stuff is fantastic, heavy and thought provoking. One of the best sludge metal bands in the last ten years IMO.

Harkat

Reaction score
This band really captures my imagination. On the instumentation, these guys are very technically complex and intense. But it is the production and ambience that draws me in. Having only three albums; Oceanic, Panopticon, and Wavering Radiant I can't comment on the other music they've released. If one can get by the vocals, which is very limited, this stuff is fantastic, heavy and thought provoking. One of the best sludge metal bands in the last ten years IMO.

It is unfortunate to say, then, that they have broken up after their last tour early June 2010.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online