Isis (the female band)

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Ain't No Backin' Up Now

The second album produced by Alan Toussaint is different from the first in many ways but well stated and it sounds pretty cool. There is a preponderance of Toussaint tunes on this one but that's a good thing since Mr. T was always a great songwriter.

Songs on this album are:
1. Ain't No Backin' Up Now
2. Icy Winds
3. Old Stories
4. Gold
5. Eat the Root
6. Bobbie & Maria
7. Lost Romeo
8. Come One, Come All
9. Sunshine Tree

ianbun.jpg

Flower

retired
Reaction score
isis-page-image2.jpg

Jtm

Reaction score
Till a few years ago I'd never heard of Isis, but listening to the masterpiece that their debut album is it looks like I did as these tracks sound so familiar.
Backing Up comes a good second, but Breaking Through is a different matter by a different line-up with the two bonus tracks being the stand-outs.

I searched for Dutch articles at the music archives but couldn't find anything, and according to bass-player Stella's website Isis never played in Holland (shame, cause they definitely would've made a lasting impression).

I'll be posting a translation of a catalogue-review.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Till a few years ago I'd never heard of Isis, but listening to the masterpiece that their debut album is it looks like I did as these tracks sound so familiar.
Backing Up comes a good second, but Breaking Through is a different matter by a different line-up with the two bonus tracks being the stand-outs.

I searched for Dutch articles at the music archives but couldn't find anything, and according to bass-player Stella's website Isis never played in Holland (shame, cause they definitely would've made a lasting impression).

I'll be posting a translation of a catalogue-review.

I'm looking forward to it.

I know of Isis because I'm a big fan of Genya Ravan (Goldie Zelkowitz) and the all female band Goldie & the Gingerbreads ... :grinthumb

Jtm

Reaction score
THE ISIS CATALOGUE; PART 1

Isis, a name more lilely to be associated with the metal band or the Dutch DJ than with the 1970s all-female horn-rock band. Not surprisingly as they never made it big, neither in Europe nor in their their home-country USA or anywhere else. The main reasons were singer/guitarist Carol MacDonald's open homosexuality, poor management and the plain fact that female bands were (and actually still are) treated as a novelty-act.

In 1973 Isis signed to Buddah Records and released two albums. The self-titled debut from 1974 drew comparisons to the likes of Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, Earth Wind & Fire and Santana (practically all the horns-and percussion-heavy bands of the moment); packed in a sleeve picturing the ladies stark-naked in silver bodypaint it contained nine songs. The psychedelic-tinged Waiting For The Sonrise (no misspelling) is a straightforward opener, Everybody Needs A Forever (the first of four ballads) prominently features the Janis Joplin-style voice of MacDonald; Nydi 'Liberty' Mata's percussion-solo segues into the build-up intro of Servant Saviour. "Come hurry save us" MacDonald begs, but the tear-down outro suggests that it's too late. Rubber Boy, ballad no.2, is about a tripping drug-addict bouncing "back to reality" ("a hard place to stay"). As a contraweight to Servant Saviour things are speeded up climaxing in Ginger Bianco's drum-solo; bang it like Bonham. The other two ballads are the moody Bitter Sweet ("If I lived in a bubble right next to your shell/then we could both the world living hell") and the all-saying She Loves Me. Inbetween and after, bass-player Stella Bass (!) delivers two doses of funk; April Fool (once again a build-up intro) and the harmony-voiced Do The Football. The New Orleans-style singalong Cocaine Elaine ("She'll go insane, let's cry for Cocaine Elaine") rounds off this masterpiece (10).

In part 2; music from Big Easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online