Is Rock Dead?

Pappy

Reaction score

Great quote from Steven Wilson:

“Saying the album will disappear is like saying that from now on novelists will only write short stories, or film-makers will only make short films or pop videos. There is something about the long form and the idea of a gradually unfolding musical experience that allows for greater juxtapositions of dynamics, mood and emotion, sometimes simply in the way that the songs are sequenced. In the case of progressive/art rock, the idea of taking the listener on a musical journey over the course of 45 minutes or so has always been the primary form of creative expression, but many other great pop and rock albums also have that sense of ‘architecture’ that you find in a beautifully crafted film or novel. While the album might become less dominant as a format, I believe it will prevail as an artistic choice for both those making music and those that listen to it.”

Metal Health

Reaction score
Rock is not dead yet. There is still hope for a revival. Classical music is definitely not dead yet. It will die before rock does. We need something like "We Will Rock You". In 1977, that stunned the world. Queen is know for it. People still rock out to that song. If we get something like that again, we could keep fans. Say Queen were to put out another great single like that, people would love it. They wouldn't just love it, they would explore more Queen songs. If we are lucky, they would even branch out to listen to other bands within rock. This is the way to revive rock. To answer you're question, rock is NOT dead.

Aero

Reaction score
Rock is not dead yet. There is still hope for a revival. Classical music is definitely not dead yet. It will die before rock does. We need something like "We Will Rock You". In 1977, that stunned the world. Queen is know for it. People still rock out to that song. If we get something like that again, we could keep fans. Say Queen were to put out another great single like that, people would love it. They wouldn't just love it, they would explore more Queen songs. If we are lucky, they would even branch out to listen to other bands within rock. This is the way to revive rock. To answer you're question, rock is NOT dead.

I'm not sure we will see another "We Will Rock You" any time soon. And I hate to say that but if you look at the current generation, they are not a passionate bunch. They just don't look at rock music the same way that previous generations did.

I mean, when was the last kick-ass rock song that you heard?

Metal Health

Reaction score
I can name a lot but that is because I listen to rock a lot. But I get your point. There could be a "We Will Rock You" in the future. However, it will not be from these rap lovers. It will have to be from a band that we ( The standing classic rock fans ) put together. It would have to be a catchy melody or beat. The band would have to have a great amount of skill. What pulled Queen together was Brian May. He was awesome! We need someone like that. We need a great songwriter like Kerry Livgren but more metal. We need a great bassist like John Deacon. We need an insanely good lead singer like Robert Plant or Steven Tyler. This is the Dream Team to bring rock more strength.

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
Maybe I'm a hopless optimast, but I've learned one thing about Roll N' Roll, ....you never know what it's going to do next. Every time I think that Rock is all used up and nothing more can be extacted from it, I've proven wrong. There are so many fantasic musicians out there on the internet, and so many young people that love the heavy bands from the 70's, something great has to happen sometime soon. But like I say, I'm an optimast, plus I really, really want there to be some great new music in the future. :heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.