Insomnium (Official Thread)

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I heard these guys for the first time around the same time I discovered Swallow The Sun a couple weeks ago.

Like STS, great musicianship, Finnish bands really take a lot of pride in their sound. Getting Ville Friman going on clean vocals the last 2 albums really expanded their sound. I'm a huge fan of 2 types of vocals in bands, whether they be male/male, male/female or 1 male doing 2 kinds of vocals.

And like STS, I ordered all 6 of this band's albums just the other day. It's going to be hard getting all 13 albums played end to end from both groups, I may not get a lot of sleep in the next few weeks.

Great song and video from Shadows Of The Dying Sun (not to mention a gorgeous girl in the video):

Insomnium-While We Sleep

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I heard these guys for the first time around the same time I discovered Swallow The Sun a couple weeks ago.

Like STS, great musicianship, Finnish bands really take a lot of pride in their sound. Getting Ville Friman going on clean vocals the last 2 albums really expanded their sound. I'm a huge fan of 2 types of vocals in bands, whether they be male/male, male/female or 1 male doing 2 kinds of vocals.

And like STS, I ordered all 6 of this band's albums just the other day. It's going to be hard getting all 13 albums played end to end from both groups, I may not get a lot of sleep in the next few weeks.

Great song and video from Shadows Of The Dying Sun (not to mention a gorgeous girl in the video):

Insomnium-While We Sleep
Yeah this band rules. Love their unique take on Melodeath and they haven't released any bad material.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
I finally got the last of their albums today, 2011's One For Sorrow. You nailed it, not a bad album or song in the lot, but definitely a progression from the first album to the latest.

While We Sleep is still my favorite track and I'll reiterate, getting the guitarist to do clean vocals was a great move. I tend to like death & doom metal with 2 vocalists (or one vocalist with 2 styles) just a little better than with growls alone.

I can see where the "melodic" part of melodic black metal comes in. Incredible musicianship. The change from Ville Vänni to Markus Vanhala for the last album didn't seem to change the sound much if at all.

Shadows Of The Dying Sun came out in 2014, so hopefully a new album within a year or so is in the works.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
New album Winter's Gate out in a couple of days which I will be getting. Insomnium have always delivered good music to me.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Winter's Gate will be one 40 minute song.

It should be epic, I wonder if the song will somehow be divided into tracks on the CD.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
New album Heart Like A Grave set to drop on October 4. Plus the first video they've done in 5 years, Valediction is out too.

But, even better than all that, just when you thought this band couldn't get more awesome, Jani Liimatainen (ex: Sonata Arctica, Cain's Offering, The Dark Element) is now their 3rd guitarist.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
A new single/video is out, heralding a new album for 2021. No Ville Friman in the video, or listed in any of the few places I can find info on the new song. I seem to remember a source saying he would be doing something military related, or maybe he's catching up on his PhD related career.

Their videos are always as dark and despair filled as their songs. Perfect for melo-death.

Insomnium-The Conjurer

Also a great acoustic version of One For Sorrow from a few weeks ago.

Insomnium-One For Sorrow

Last edited by a moderator:

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
The second "single" from the still unnamed album. Same guy as in the previous video, but like the last pair of videos, I can't figure out the story they're telling.

Insomnium-The Reticent

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
The last two of the four songs from the Argent Moon EP have come out in recent months.

I received the just released EP today with a raven t-shirt.

Insomnium-The Antagonist

Insomnium-The Wanderer (nice thumbnail)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online