Influences - why do you play?

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
Mmm, mostly listening to rock and roll made me want to pick up guitar and play. It's great feeling to just jam with friends and it's beautiful feeling just to talk with an instrument. I don't dream about big career, but still, I want my share in that crowd of blond groupies! :D

Reaction score
Ok, everybody but Lynch are gonna have to rewrite their posts - EVERYbody starts playing to get laid, someone famous said that! :heheh:

I left that out of mine, I thought it was just a given:confused::heheh:

Julie

Reaction score
Haha, I was 10 when I started playing, I probably didn't even know the meaning of "getting laid"! :D

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Ok, everybody but Lynch are gonna have to rewrite their posts - EVERYbody starts playing to get laid, someone famous said that! :heheh:

I'm pretty sure I've heard this guy say that in a number of interviews!

img_8.jpg

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.
I attempted guitar way back because I loved hard rock and acoustic guitar and wanted to be able to play a bit. I never got anywhere though. I have no ear, and I have no patience to sit and pick stuff out on my own. My uncle taught me blues. I got into that for a while. 5 years back, things went really bad in my life. I picked up my acoustic, and strummed it. It really relaxed me. Through the internet, I started learning a bunch of stuff that I always wanted to learn. That was great. Guitar was really therapy, it calmed my mind a lot. It really took me away from the misery. It was in a huge depression that I learned the most and made the most progress.

Influences? What influenced how I play? Paul McCartney's acoustic style and then 12 bar blues in general are the two that stand out.

unrulyrocker2

Reaction score
Ahh the reason I started playing can easily be summed up in two words...Ritchie Blackmore....when I heard the notes and melodies he could summon from his Strat and Marshall....I said "I gotta do THAT!"

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
I attempted guitar way back because I loved hard rock and acoustic guitar and wanted to be able to play a bit. I never got anywhere though. I have no ear, and I have no patience to sit and pick stuff out on my own. My uncle taught me blues. I got into that for a while. 5 years back, things went really bad in my life. I picked up my acoustic, and strummed it. It really relaxed me. Through the internet, I started learning a bunch of stuff that I always wanted to learn. That was great. Guitar was really therapy, it calmed my mind a lot. It really took me away from the misery. It was in a huge depression that I learned the most and made the most progress.

Influences? What influenced how I play? Paul McCartney's acoustic style and then 12 bar blues in general are the two that stand out.

There are a lot of ressources out there for those who want to get started - but also a lot of bad sites which will infest your computer with all sorts of nasty crap. But look carefully and aaaaalmost anybody can pick up an instrument and learn it off the internet :grinthumb

I can relate to the relaxing effect playing guitar has, definately, same here :cheers:

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
I grew up going back and forth from the foster care system and my mom. Ironically in both places musical instruments were available. I first picked up an acoustic guitar at 6. My foster parents had a piano that i started playing at 8. I started singing at 8 as well and then started songwriting shortly after my mother died from alchol posioning at age 11. I started playing in a band around that same time. From that point all I ever wanted was to be a musician and songwriter

My biggest influences for guitar range from hendrix, bb. king, Santana,
for songwriting they include lennon, dave matthews, billy corgan
for singing influences include Sting, Mcartney, dave matthews

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online

No members online now.