I Recently Discovered . . .

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
0060253745675_500X500.jpg
0819873010210.jpg

. . . Shout!, the new 2xCD by Gov't Mule, whom I had never heard before. I read that Glenn Hughes sings on a track on their new album Shout! The album is unusual in that they recorded the songs as a band and then recorded them again for a second CD with guests. Hughes sings on No Reward, although, ironically, the band's own version is funkier. To what extent the guests contribute beyond their vocals I am not really sure. For example, the bass playing on No Reward does not sound like Glenn Hughes, but on Stevie Winwood's version of When the World Gets Small, the organ sounds like Winwood. In my view, this is one of Winwood's best vocal performances since Arc of a Diver and the track really drew me into the album. Dave Matthews and Elvis Costello also make interesting contributions.

I knew that Gov't Mule were involved with one of the later incarnations of the Allman Brothers, which probably put me off, until I heard they also had a psychedeic Cream influence. I really liked Warren Haynes's guitar playing and the psychedelic feel of the production. On When the World Gets Small, Haynes gives Carlos Santana a run for his money.

A lot of new music disappoints me at the moment and I keep returning to the blues rock bands, so I intend to search for more Gov't Mule (although their albums do seem scarce in these parts).

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That is a cool approach to a recording, doing your own version then getting some friends to add their own flavour to the songs.

I think Magic told me about this band a few years ago, I've got some of their albums but haven't listened to them in a long long time.

tkitna

Reaction score
I've only heard people talking about them before, but never thought I would like them, so I never bothered. My brother-in-law and sister were home around the Christmas holidays and we were out in the garage partying. He threw in a Govt' Mule CD and they really are badass. I still havent picked any up yet though, but they are on my list.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
^ I have read about Gov't Mule, but never heard the band and also assumed I would not like them. They do seem to have a particular image, with their southern rock stylings and a revolving door of musicians, particularly bass players. The Cream connection and Glenn Hughes's involvement lead me to listen to Shout! Get Ready to Rock's website has a review which states Steve Winwood's track is similar to Low Spark of High Heeled Boys, and this in turn has lead me to listen to Traffic again.

I was surprised there is no official site here, unless I've missed one, so I'll be interested to see how many Gov't Mule fans there are on CRF.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Do you mean Official Thread? Yep, there is one. It could definitely use some work (overhaul) or perhaps a new official thread would be good, if someone would like to do a proper re-introduction to Gov't Mule

http://www.classicrockforums.com/forum/f8/govt-mule-official-thread-1074/

Thank you, Lynch, I did mean offical 'thread'. I do not have the knowledge of Gov't Mule to write write an introduction, and combined with my failure to successfully navigate the search option, I started this haphazard thread. It's good to see the interest in Gov't Mule though.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
:cheers:

I have only heard a couple of songs from the band myself, but what I've heard I do like. I really owe it to myself to buy an album or two of theirs, I don't think I'd be disappointed.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I've just read the Gov't Mule thread, from your link, Lynch, and I found the comments useful. You are right, it does need an introduction to bring it up to date.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliverevans

Members online