Hound Dog Taylor

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Taylor was born in Natchez, Mississippi in 1915 (although some sources say 1917). He originally played piano, but began playing guitar when he was 20. He moved to Chicago in 1942.

He became a full-time musician around 1957 but remained unknown outside of the Chicago area where he played small clubs in the black neighborhoods and also at the open-air Maxwell Street Market. He was known for his electrified slide guitar playing roughly styled after that of Elmore James, his cheap Japanese Teisco guitars, and his raucous boogie beats. He was also famed among guitar players for having six fingers on his left hand.

After hearing Taylor with his band, the HouseRockers (Brewer Phillips on second guitar and Ted Harvey on drums) in 1970 at Florence's Lounge on Chicago's South Side, Bruce Iglauer - at the time a shipping clerk for Delmark Records - tried to get him signed by his employer.[2] Having no success getting Delmark to sign Taylor, Iglauer formed a small record label with a $2500 inheritance and recorded Taylor's debut album, Hound Dog Taylor and the HouseRockers, on his fledgling Alligator Records in 1971.[2] It was the first release on Alligator records, now a major blues label.[3] It was recorded in a studio in just two nights. Iglauer began managing and booking the band, which toured nationwide and performed with Muddy Waters and Big Mama Thornton.[citation needed] The band became particularly popular in the Boston area, where Taylor inspired a young protege named George Thorogood. A live album Live At Joe's Place documents a Boston appearance from 1972.

Their second release, Natural Boogie, was recorded in late 1973, and led to greater acclaim and touring. In 1975, Taylor and his band toured Australia and New Zealand with Freddie King and Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee. His third Alligator album, Beware of the Dog, was recorded live in 1974 but was only released after his death.[3] More posthumous releases occurred as well, including Genuine Houserocking Music and Release the Hound, on the Alligator label as well as some bootleg live recordings.

Taylor died of lung cancer in 1975, and was buried in Restvale Cemetery in Alsip, Illinois.[5][6]

Taylor was posthumously inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 1984.[citation needed]

Source

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
My favorite album by the man..

Mikes20House_Fuzzy_Diane_Viynl20024.jpg

The guy had six fingers on one hand....not many people were aware of this...

taylor4.jpg

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
I hate when I make a post and loose it, lol..

Anyways some funky and sloppy HDT joints...these are some of my favorites by this cat. I hope no-one is visiting this thread looking for refined blues (a la Clapton, Rory, etc.), because this is the Delta stuff. Ruff and ugly.

Let's Get Funky

Sitting At Home Alone

Sun Is Shining

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Held My Baby Last Night

Roll Your Money Maker

Wild About You Baby

joe

Reaction score
Wow! This man knows how to slide. Great stuff Phil. I've read about Hound Dog but never have heard any of his tunes. "Ruff and ugly":oyea: That sums it up.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
This is great stuff!

I have an intense love of SRV, but only a slightly-more-than-passing-fancy as far as the rest of the blues.

This kind of raw stuff is my favorite. Just feel it, play it, production be damned.

I don't know if you've ever seen this doc, but it's a good one:

12793403624_e96bcb59f5.jpg

Speaking of which, I just spent 10 minutes looking for the soundtrack down in my fort...and I can't find it!! Damn! A code red situation.

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation on that documentary! I think I have seen it recommended on another site as well. I guess I will have to pick it up now. :grinthumb

I agree with you about the loose production values. When it comes to blues, I have always placed higher value on passion and intensity.

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
If this is Delta blues, then sign me up! Being relatively new to the joy known as 'the blues' - it's apparent that I have a misguided notion of Delta blues. I am definitely getting Vehicle's Last of the Mississippi Jukes to further my blues 'education'. Thank you Phil for this introduction to Hound Dog Taylor, and to Vehicle for your documentary suggestion. :bow:People like the two of you makes crf a wonderful and educational experience.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Staff online

Members online