Horslips (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
This band formed in 1970 and play celtic rock music, they split in 1980 and have since made a few appearences on TV and have played a few reunion shows. Great band if you like the celtic rock vibe, I love them, would really like to see them but they don't do many shows now.

Horslips - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Studio albums:

Happy to Meet - Sorry to Part (1972)
The Táin (1973)
Dancehall Sweethearts (1974)
The Unfortunate Cup of Tea (1975)
Drive the Cold Winter Away (1975)
The Book of Invasions (1976)
Aliens (1977) U.S.
The Man Who Built America (1978) U.S.
Short Stories/Tall Tales (1979)
Roll Back (2004)

Compilation albums:

Tracks from the Vaults (1977)
Treasury (2009)

Live albums:

Horslips Live (1976)
The Belfast Gigs (1980)
Live at the O2 (2010)
Live with the Ulster Orchestra (2011)

These are great tracks

King Of The Fairies

Dearg Doom

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Re: Horslips

Another band who, through the power of the internet and word of mouth, seem to be at last getting some sort of recognition. According to a friend in Ireland some of the band members still play which can't be a bad thing.

Great discography site at http://www.horslips.ie/discpage.html and the usual wikipedis search will, I've no doubt, reveal more.

If you've never had the pleasure of listening to Horslips it's probably a good idea to go for one of the compilation albums around. I would recommend "The Horslips Collection", a 2CD issue from the Outlet Recording Co. Ltd.

horslipscover.jpg

horslipsback.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I remember this band vaguely, but never picked any of their albums...might have to put them on my list.:think:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning

My take on Horslips is that they are/were a band with almost two "careers". Their early output was very much a folk and folk/rock style coupled with excellent playing (the flute played by Jim Lockhart on the song "Sure The Boy Was Green" is likened to Ian Anderson). Later albums could be tagged as progressive folk (depending on your terms of reference) and aimed fair and square at the American market.

One of their finest offerings IMO is "The Book Of Invasion" a concept album built around Ancient Irish history folk lore.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=7146

As one reviewer says:

"Well, without a doubt this is the Horslips album I recommend to the uninitiated. it has to be an essential part of any prog folk collection".

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

I have never been a big lover of folk music [ i find it a bit fiddly ee dee ] but HORSLIPS were folk/rock. I have 3 albums " the tain " being my personal favourite,it includes the classic track "dearg doom" which my good buddy Sweaty has uploaded. Please watch it you will like it. i just love the celtic electric guitar riff. Another of my favourite tracks is " the man who built America "

Last edited:

Fug

Reaction score

I have Short Stories/Tall Tales on record. The album has seen one to many parties and is in very bad shape. This is a great record, IMO. I'd love to find it on CD.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Check this out! HORSLIPS in fine form....i love this song!!

some of the albums i own.......and treasure :)

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online